CA-Unicenter, Comments please

Post by Ron Delpiere-Smit » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I have a client that is looking into System Management tools.  Currently,
the VP of IS is swinging towards CA-Unicenter.  He would like to know of
any comments you would like to share, good or bad.

If you have any comments on other System Management tools please send those
comments also.

Thanks in advance.
--
Ron Delpiere
Consulltant, Midnight Computiing

Post by Michael Vila » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I have a client that is looking into System Management tools.  Currently,
>the VP of IS is swinging towards CA-Unicenter.  He would like to know of
>any comments you would like to share, good or bad.

What I learned is that _nothing_ matches a trial period evaluation.  If
you evaluate several products, you can play one vendor against the
other.  If you have a RFP document you can submit to a group of vendors
with specific product requirements, this is even better.  To many
times, I've seen companys buy what someone "who's no longer with the
company" was sold.  If you take the time to buy something that works
the way you want, you'll be much happier.  Just the process of getting
requirements together will help solidify the problem.  If more than one
person provides requirements, more than one person will be happy with
what's evenually purchased.

Get a 60-day demo version and install that on a system that will be
responcible for doing the managment and have a single person use the
product for that time.

If this client already wants to buy CA Unicenter without going through
this process, are they hiring you to put a stamp of approval on it?
Such decisions are usually political rather than technical.

Good luck,

/MeV/
--

"His code never ran fast enough"
"He thought my pocket protector was *"

Post by Doug Barne » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Hello everyone,

> > I have a client that is looking into System Management tools.  Currently,
> > the VP of IS is swinging towards CA-Unicenter.  He would like to know of
> > any comments you would like to share, good or bad.

> > If you have any comments on other System Management tools please send those
> > comments also.

> I am not sure if you are thinking about event coorelation and/or system
> management but I love Tivoli Enterprise Console, and the System agents
> that they provide.

> I would consider doing an eval of HP/Open View + Tivoli

> Henry F. Camacho Jr.                 Voice:   612.434.5800
> Innovative Software Designs, Inc.    Fax:     612.305.9103

It really depends on the platforms your monitoring as well as the
applications you want to look at.  Most of these systems management
platforms are nothing more than a framework for 3rd party vendors and/or
the company making them to sell you more stuff to monitor the things
that are important to you.  I checked out Tivoli vs. Openview at my last
job and since we had mostly HP's, Openveiw gave the most monitoring
capability out of the box for the HP's.  The agents for AIX, NT, blah,
blah, blah were extra as were any for Informix and Oracle.  The bottom
line is that you will have to write some stuff for yourself (or get
someone in to do it for you-which Tivoli/HP/CA love to do for mega
dollars) and you have to have a staff to care and feed this thing.  Most
competent SA's can write scripts that these things can monitor (Log
files, SNMP traps, or use the API's and embed the monitoring code in the
application.)

CA-Unicenter, Comments please

Post by Henry F. Camacho Jr » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello everyone,

> I have a client that is looking into System Management tools.  Currently,
> the VP of IS is swinging towards CA-Unicenter.  He would like to know of
> any comments you would like to share, good or bad.

> If you have any comments on other System Management tools please send those
> comments also.

I am not sure if you are thinking about event coorelation and/or system
management but I love Tivoli Enterprise Console, and the System agents
that they provide.

I would consider doing an eval of HP/Open View + Tivoli

Henry F. Camacho Jr.                 Voice:   612.434.5800
Innovative Software Designs, Inc.    Fax:     612.305.9103

1. Your comments on CA-Unicenter System Management Software wanted.

Where I am currently consulting, the full suite of CA-Unicenter has been
purchased and a lot of eggs have been put in that basket.  I personally view
it as an unproven product and would like to be convinced otherwise.

Convince me or I'll have to start informing management of my concerns and
schedule a some stress testing to evaluate the product.

Thx.

2. FS:Sbus to Fibre Channel Adapters B/O

3. CA-Unicenter -- info please

4. Win2000 and FreeBSD

5. Requesting more comments or opinions on CA Unicenter

6. Foxpro for sco

7. CA-Unicenter success stories - ?????

8. How can I generate a small bar graph from simple data ?

9. CA-Unicenter or Equivalent

10. launching programs w/CA-UNICENTER

11. Considering Using CA-Unicenter

12. Ca-Unicenter users

13. intro..and first posting on CA-unicenter