Q-> logging user names as they log in

Post by Eric T. Sylva » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 08:47:33

Hello All,

  I have a question that I hope someone can help me resolve.

  I would like to have an ability to log the user that logs into my machine
  to the syslog.  Is there a utility the will do such a thing?  I presently
  have an inetd.conf entry that will tell me when someont is requesting a
  telnet session, but I can't find out who that is until they log in and
  I am unsure how I would go about setting up a type of watcher to wait
  till the user logs in and send a message to syslog (with logger or something)
  I have thought of some weird things like doing a who and putting it
  in a temporary file and then waiting two minutes and then doing a who
  again and comparing the files and sending the differnece to syslogd with
  logger.

  Any help would be appreciated.

  Thanks

  Eric Sylvain

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. Linux PPP Intermittant problem

3. cannot log into machine -- moduser -s <bad-shell-name> user

4. Samba - Netbios aliases

5. logrotate -> Apache access log -> unique name for each gzip file

6. Sys call for Available Memory? - Attempts to help, but still no answer after months. :-(

7. Why does: "tail -f /var/log/messages | grep eth0 >> /var/log/eth0.log" create an empty log ?

8. Anyone setup MP3 server in Linux

9. how to access log name inside the log definition

10. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

11. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

12. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?

13. How can I get ipppd to log in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ????