help with dd command - EBCDIC to ASCII

Post by Richard Meye » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I am working on a project where we will have to convert mainframe
EBCDIC data to HP-UX Ascii. I know that the 'dd' command can do
this translation, but can it handle packed EBCDIC fields? My gut
says no, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

Is there anything out there that can handle packed fields?

Thanks,

Rick Meyer

1. dd EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion Problem

OS: AIX4.3.3 ML09

I am trying to read a tape [3490] created on an IBM OS/VS 370 in EBCDIC
using block size 7735 and record length 595.  When I use the following dd
command:

        dd if=/dev/rmt2 of=ascii.data conv=ascii ibs=7735 cbs=595

everything works fine until it encounters nulls (0x00) in the data
stream. When these occur, they are always at position 390 for a lngth of
20.  When the nulls are encountered, dd skips the remainder of the current
record and concatenates the following record, beginning in position 390
for a total of 990 bytes.

If I first read the data from tape to disk without the conversion:

        dd if=/dev/rmt2 of=data.ebcdic ibs=7735

and then convert using a second dd command:

        dd if=data.ebcdic of=data.ascii conv=ascii cbs=595

it works fine, handling the nulls as other data.

Has anyone observed this [peculiar] behavior and do you have a better way
of handling it?

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell

2. ftpd dies and then httpd dies

3. Using dd to convert ASCII to EBCDIC and output the converted format to multiple tapes

4. KRN not working in 1.1 pre2

5. HELP: ASCII -> EBCDIC conversion

6. Smartmontools now big-endian clean: testers needed before new release generated

7. Speeding up dd when converting tapes (EBCDIC->ACSII)

8. Request: removal of fs/fs.h/super_block.u to enable partition locking

9. incompatibility in dd EBCDIC conversions?

10. unknown data format dd ebcdic

11. dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

12. EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion

13. ASCII to EBCDIC translation *function* ????