Graphing data in Real-Time

Post by Hamish Mars » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 10:32:54

Are there any packages out there (Free/Shareware/Commercial, anything
considered) that will graph data in real-time? (As opposed to gnuplot's
needing a datafile to work, I want this package to execute a command
very X seconds that will output on stdout a single line of numbers which
I then want graphed. (eg. the output of vmstat 1 1 every 10 seconds etc).

Does anyone know of anything that will do this? Will gnuplot cope
with something lke this? Without completely erasing the display and
re-drawing after a pause? (It needs to be a smoothly extended graph
preferably).

TIA...

|  Hamish Marson                                                     |
|  Systems Programmer              |                                 |

|  University of Waikato           | PHONE    +64 7 8562889 xt 8181  |
|  New Zealand                     | FAX      +64 7 8384066          |
===========Disclaimer :- Remember. You heard it here first.===========

Graphing data in Real-Time

Post by Richard G. La » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 23:58:46

|> Are there any packages out there (Free/Shareware/Commercial, anything
|> considered) that will graph data in real-time? (As opposed to gnuplot's
|> needing a datafile to work, I want this package to execute a command
|> very X seconds that will output on stdout a single line of numbers which
|> I then want graphed. (eg. the output of vmstat 1 1 every 10 seconds etc).
|>

|> Does anyone know of anything that will do this? Will gnuplot cope
|> with something lke this? Without completely erasing the display and
|> re-drawing after a pause? (It needs to be a smoothly extended graph
|> preferably).
|>
|> TIA...

The xmgr program can handle data being sent to it in a pipeline.  It shows it
in its demo mode, and it appears to be a good graphing package.

Rich
|                                                                             |
|     Richard G. Lang                      Allen-Bradley Automation Group     |
|     Systems/Network Analyst                   Highland Heights, Ohio        |

|                                                                             |
    My expressed opinions are my own; ascribe them to no one else, please.

Graphing data in Real-Time

Post by Ken Jon » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 03:18:10

>|> Are there any packages out there (Free/Shareware/Commercial, anything
>|> considered) that will graph data in real-time? (As opposed to gnuplot's
>|> needing a datafile to work, I want this package to execute a command
>|> very X seconds that will output on stdout a single line of numbers which
>|> I then want graphed. (eg. the output of vmstat 1 1 every 10 seconds etc).
>|>

>|> Does anyone know of anything that will do this? Will gnuplot cope
>|> with something lke this? Without completely erasing the display and
>|> re-drawing after a pause? (It needs to be a smoothly extended graph
>|> preferably).
>|>
>|> TIA...

The Acme Widget 2D graph was built to handle such a problem. We
wrote it primarily to display market data in real time where the
data is arriving on a socket connection. There a function to
add a new data point, and the widget automaticly redraws and
relabels the axis's if the ranges change. It can also handle
a strip chart setup. And we have a wrapper function attaches
a scale and scrollbar to make viewing different parts of the
data easier. Also handles 10 levels of zooming a rectangular
window and can generate postscript output. Available in
binary or source code form. The marketing group cut the prices
as of the first of the year to be cheaper than any other
commerical graph widget.

Please reply via email if you are interested.

Ken Jones
EDB, Inc.
Home of Acme Widgets