Connecting to an AIX box thru serial port

Connecting to an AIX box thru serial port

Post by princ.. » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 00:44:08

Here's the problem folks...

We have an old IBM RT 6150 running AIX, but the monitor is shot. (Actually, it
works, but gives off a high pitched wine that's REALLY annoying). What we'd
like to do is set up another computer next to it and connect to it using a
serial port. (Where we can log in as root and get this thing going...)

So my question is:
    How do you set this up? (Connecting to a AIX box through a serial port)

                                Mike

P.S. Please respond through e-mail. Thanks!

1. "Garbage" output when connecting to sun box over serial port with tip

Hello, I am having trouble getting something legible out of a Sun box
when connecting to it from tip so I wondered if there was anything
obvious I was not doing correctly.

I was given a Sun Netra 120 server to wipe clean and install a fresh
version of Solaris on. I bought a null modem adaptor so that I can
connect from a separate Ultra 5 box I have already configured. I can
connect them up (to the LOM port on the Netra) and issue a "tip
hardwire" or "tip [hardcoded term]" and I get "connected". I followed
the advised 9600 baud both in the command line and also in /etc/remote
(although I notice there're more settings in that file). I can then
issue the break command and I get the ok prompt as expected. The
problem comes when I try to get output of any length. For instance,
issuing a "printenv" yields 90% garbage (by which I mean, seemingly
random characters) and the odd recognisable bit such as a variable
name.

I issued a "boot cdrom - install" with the Solaris CD in the Netra
drive and this seemed to work - I got a little bit of installation text
but when it came to selecting language etc the output was again all
corrupted so it isn't really usable.

I can't see my own keystrokes either, although they are obviously
received as the Netra "does stuff".

Where should I start? Could it be the tip settings not matching the
Netra's? Or could it be a wiring problem with the null modem adaptor?
(Hope not).

Thanks,
Dan

2. Andrew File System (AFS) for linux?

3. Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

4. Apache install problem

5. Connecting Netclock/GPS to RS6000/AIX serial port

6. How to use the command "at" during logout???

7. Connecting a Linux Box To a Dos Box, through a serial connection

8. Tape Drives

9. help connecting linux box thru winnt proxy server

10. Connecting Linux box to internet thru Sygate

11. connecting Windows and Linux thru serial cable

12. How to use printer(LPT1) connected to serial-port-connected-PC

13. advice,help on connecting AS/400 & RS6000/AIX thru' SNA