Internic Does NOT Respond To Router Filtering Queries

Internic Does NOT Respond To Router Filtering Queries

Post by Scott Sanbe » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hello All,

traceroute to rs.internic.net (198.41.0.12), 30 hops max, 40 byte
packets
 1  cnetbk1-gw (204.236.1.254)  2 ms  1 ms  1 ms
 2  cnetbr3-gw (204.236.3.244)  1 ms  2 ms  1 ms
 3  H4-0.sttlic01.eli.net (208.131.36.9)  3 ms  5 ms  6 ms
 4  H3-0.1.ptldic01.eli.net (207.0.56.194)  21 ms  16 ms  16 ms
 5  904.Hssi8-0.GW1.POR2.ALTER.NET (137.39.164.21)  18 ms  13 ms  11 ms
 6  165.Hssi3-0.CR1.SEA1.Alter.Net (137.39.75.133)  20 ms  18 ms  17 ms
 7  110.Hssi6-0.CR1.DCA1.Alter.Net (137.39.30.29)  81 ms  83 ms *
 8  311.atm1-0.gw2.dca1.alter.net (137.39.13.181)  87 ms  85 ms  76 ms
 9  * Internic1-gw.customer.ALTER.NET (157.130.32.242)  92 ms  86 ms
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * *

Internic is filtering packets from one of our networks and has been
doing so for months.  This is causing problems which do not need
to necessarily be "worked around", such as DNS queries and so forth.
I have emailed their postmasters and they totally ignore my questions
as to why they are filtering, or, they believe my questions do not
warrant an answer.  I do not know.

The network in question is a network we have acquired recently from
another company.  To my knowledge there is no reputation for the
Class C address to be known for SPAM/UCE or otherwise.  Certainly
there is no apparent reason for the Internic to filter our packets.

So who is beyond the Internic?? Is this the kind of behavior that we
want out of any type of a governing body, whether a body that assigns
IP addresses or anything else?  I would really like to know where I
can file complaints against these people (Internic).

Help is appreciated,
Scott
--

InterGlobe Networks, Inc.          OFFICE: 206.623.2222
1520 Fourth Avenue, Suite 200      FAX: 206.623.0885

This is my opinion and mine alone. URL: http://www.interglobe.com

Post by Tim Gr » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Hello All,

>traceroute to rs.internic.net (198.41.0.12), 30 hops max, 40 byte
>packets
> 1  cnetbk1-gw (204.236.1.254)  2 ms  1 ms  1 ms
[snip]
> 9  * Internic1-gw.customer.ALTER.NET (157.130.32.242)  92 ms  86 ms
>10  * * *

>Internic is filtering packets from one of our networks and has been
>doing so for months.  This is causing problems which do not need
>to necessarily be "worked around", such as DNS queries and so forth.
>I have emailed their postmasters and they totally ignore my questions
>as to why they are filtering, or, they believe my questions do not
>warrant an answer.  I do not know.

Are you sure that it is InterNIC that is doing the filtering?  Are you
sure it isn't alter.net (a.k.a. UUnet)?

Quote:>The network in question is a network we have acquired recently from
>another company.  To my knowledge there is no reputation for the
>Class C address to be known for SPAM/UCE or otherwise.  Certainly
>there is no apparent reason for the Internic to filter our packets.

alter.net itself was given the Usenet Death Penatly for lack of action
on SPAMming.  But I don't think Internic would act on it.

Quote:>So who is beyond the Internic?? Is this the kind of behavior that we
>want out of any type of a governing body, whether a body that assigns
>IP addresses or anything else?  I would really like to know where I
>can file complaints against these people (Internic).

Nobody.  I think you need to do a lot more investigation before you
conclude that the Internic is causing the problem.  Have you talked to
UUNet?  Can you do whois queries?  Can you use nslookup?  Those are
the things that Internic would be concerned with.  You probably
shouldn't be routing anything else through internic but those services
and I would understand if Internic shut out other traffic that wasn't
supposed to be there.

Post by Scott Sanbe » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >Hello All,

> >traceroute to rs.internic.net (198.41.0.12), 30 hops max, 40 byte
> >packets
> > 1  cnetbk1-gw (204.236.1.254)  2 ms  1 ms  1 ms
> [snip]
> > 9  * Internic1-gw.customer.ALTER.NET (157.130.32.242)  92 ms  86 ms
> >10  * * *
> Are you sure that it is InterNIC that is doing the filtering?  Are you
> sure it isn't alter.net (a.k.a. UUnet)?

I've already checked with UUNET on this matter.  The port interface
above
(157.130.32.242) is managed by the Internic engineers.

Quote:> alter.net itself was given the Usenet Death Penatly for lack of action
> on SPAMming.  But I don't think Internic would act on it.

Let's hope not.

Quote:> >So who is beyond the Internic?? Is this the kind of behavior that we
> >want out of any type of a governing body, whether a body that assigns
> >IP addresses or anything else?  I would really like to know where I
> >can file complaints against these people (Internic).

> Nobody.  I think you need to do a lot more investigation before you
> conclude that the Internic is causing the problem.  Have you talked to
> UUNet?  Can you do whois queries?  Can you use nslookup?  Those are
> the things that Internic would be concerned with.  You probably
> shouldn't be routing anything else through internic but those services
> and I would understand if Internic shut out other traffic that wasn't
> supposed to be there.

Investigated: yes
Talked to UUNET: yes (through the email system)
Whois success: none at all
nslookup success: none at all
Internic concerned: not seemingly

Email originating from the network in question, like domain templates
et.al, sit in the mail queue for 5 days and expire there.  So, again,
does anyone else have a pointer to a complaint department?
Scott
--

InterGlobe Networks, Inc.          OFFICE: 206.623.2222
1520 Fourth Avenue, Suite 200      FAX: 206.623.0885

This is my opinion and mine alone. URL: http://www.interglobe.com

Internic Does NOT Respond To Router Filtering Queries

Post by Tim Gr » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

The only other thing I could imagine that InterNIC would have a
problem with would be if you were using IPs that you weren't supposed
to.

Anyway, here is the contact info I could grab from InterNICs web
page.  It is only for the Registration Services part of InterNIC, but
I imagine that is the part you are concerned with.

General Fax (703) 742-9552

Help Line (703) 742-4777

Network Solutions, Inc.
ATTN: InterNIC Registration Services
505 Huntmar Park Dr.
Herndon, VA 20170 USA

Another thing you could invesigate is AlterNIC.  They are a private
company who wants the functions of InterNIC privatized so they can
make money off of it.  They might be able to provide the services you
are looking for and if not, they certainly could use any negative
publicity for InterNIC they can get.  They are at
http://www.aternic.net

Internic Does NOT Respond To Router Filtering Queries

Post by chuc » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Or perhaps they filter ICMP packets (specifically the traceroute
packets?)  try a telnet rs.internic.net use  go to their
web site.

I certainly filter packets, but that doesn't make me unreachable
where I want to be....

Internic Does NOT Respond To Router Filtering Queries

Post by Robert Pri » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[posted and emailed]

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:56:28 -0700, Scott Sanbeg

>Email originating from the network in question, like domain templates
>et.al, sit in the mail queue for 5 days and expire there.  So, again,
>does anyone else have a pointer to a complaint department?
>Scott

you may complain at
http://rs.internic.net/contact.html
by choosing 'complaint' in the subject field.

1. Internic doesn't respond to my e-mail app!

Hello all.

I have a problem sending in domain name applications to
Internic.  I have talked with them about it and all they say
is "we get mail from everyone else, so its your problem".
And it probably is.  However, I also send and receive
mail daily to dozens of sites, with no problem.  My mail

successful.  As far as my system is concerned, all went ok.

This has been a persistant problem that only shows itself
by the fact that I never get Internic's automated response
with the ticket number.  I have the latest template from
Internic, and my reverse address is published.  Once, a
few weeks ago, it worked, and I got the reply.  But only
once now, and nothing has changed in my system.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thank you
Dann Daggett

2. LoopLinux -network card

3. gdm/xdm does not respond to xdmcp-query

4. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

5. BIND not responding to external queries

6. New system: No Sound

7. router packet filtering, unix based routers and buffers overflow

8. CueCat

9. internic not changing info

10. Will AIX snmpd agent respond to queries about filesystem?

11. DNS -- nameservers for .org TLD don't respond when queried non-recursively

12. Linux server not responding when not connected to internet

13. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)