Hardware andice need

Post by Andrew Kostuy » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello to All!

 Have a pair of modems ( USR courier) working in HST direct connected
by line 1,5 Km (analig )  with about 500 Om impedance so speed
33600 .  What devices ( no ISDN) could be used to upgrade speed
on some dedicated line when one is in "router" ( Linux PC)
and other on CIsco on the other side of line
 Price of such  solution  not the last point .

Thanks for advice
Andy

Hardware andice need

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

The maximum possible transmit speed over an analog line is 33.6

Therefore if you want to go any faster you need a digital (ISDN or
similar) line into your "not-modem". There's no other way.

If cost is an issue, work out which end transmits most data, and put an
ISDN/Courier-I combination in there. You can upgrade the other end
as/when funds permit.

If line quality is an issue (the telco won't install ISDN) then you're
stuffed :-(

 Have a pair of modems ( USR courier) working in HST direct connected
by line 1,5 Km (analig )  with about 500 Om impedance so speed
33600 .  What devices ( no ISDN) could be used to upgrade speed
on some dedicated line when one is in "router" ( Linux PC)
and other on CIsco on the other side of line
 Price of such  solution  not the last point .

Thanks for advice
Andy

1. need to learn hardware troubleshooting - sound hardware conflict

I seem to have a port conflict problem then installing my soundcard:
"
 >dmesg
 [...]
 sam9407[#0:st128pci]: I/O port 0xfcf2 already in use
"

This seems to be a good oppurtunity for me to learn hardware
troubleshooting, but I don't?know the diagnostic commands to check
IRQs, port-use etc.

Could someone please tip me on a good resource, or simply give me a
tip of useful commands / methods.

Or - if you feel like it - help me with my specific problem:
 Card: Soundtrack 128DDMA
 Module sam9407 loaded ok in the kernel, and the devs
 /dev/sam[01]_* exist.

The problem might be that my on-soundcard-board 72-pin RAM sucks but
I'm not sure.

/thanx
Martin Helmer

2. SCSI and IDE disk problems

3. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)

4. HELP: Need to write a disk file to tape.

5. HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE

6. load balancing tool for tcp/ip network connections

7. PC hardware newbie needs help

8. Non scsi CD burner & DVD in one box under Linux?

9. Need suggestion on server cases and general hardware

10. Need some direction on a C project: hardware interface

11. Hardware Firewall needed?

12. need docs on hardware

13. Hardware advise needed.