BACKUP Strategy and Software for UNIX and Novell

BACKUP Strategy and Software for UNIX and Novell

Post by Bob Milto » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I currently backup a G40 (4mm) & G50 (4mm) with fbackup, G40 (4mm) with tar, G40 (4mm) with
tar, T500 (8mm left and right & 4mm) and a G50 (8mm & 4mm) with Omniback. All the tape are Dat
type. Backup is Tues to Sat.  The 12 Dell 433TE Novell head office systems are also backed up
daily plus each of the 11 branch offices do their own backup.  I have to come up with a
solution to the above keeping the following in mind: compatible with previous backups, ease to
administer, size of data, time required to backup (and in the case of Novell, the time required
to recover one or more files daily), etc, etc. The solution might be a seperate backup computer
with a few carrousels with 8 mm dat tapes or is someone using Digital Linear Tapes?  I would
appreciate any information anyone can provide.
Thanks in advance.

(416)-868-7056
(416)-868-2070 (Fax)

BACKUP Strategy and Software for UNIX and Novell

Post by Michael Ab » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

If line speed between the systems is not a problem I would strongly
recommend a central site backup solution. Almost all of the known UNIX
backup/restore software packages offe network capabilities (e.g.
NetWorker).

If that is not possible I would recommend a package that offers same
functionality and usability over the different platforms, e.g. Cheyenne
ARCserve which is well known in the NetWare community and also
available on different flavours of UNIX.

Regards,
Michael