should hackers be thanked?

Post by QBFrea » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:24:23

Maybe this is a little off topic, but I'm looking for opinions for an
english paper. Do you think hackers should be thanked for exploiting your
security holes? Some say yes, if they hadn't showed us they were there we
wouldn't know. Others say no, we don't want to encourage them. I'd like to
know what you think and why you think that.

should hackers be thanked?

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:38:02

>Maybe this is a little off topic, but I'm looking for opinions for an

Yes, it is.  It seems more appropriate for comp.security.misc.

Quote:>english paper. Do you think hackers should be thanked for exploiting your
>security holes? Some say yes, if they hadn't showed us they were there we
>wouldn't know. Others say no, we don't want to encourage them. I'd like to
>know what you think and why you think that.

If they merely tell you about a security hole, thank them.  If they
actually *exploit* it (i.e. break into your system, deface your web site,
etc.) then that's bad and they shouldn't be thanked.

By analogy, if someone notices that you left your keys in your car, would
you thank them if they took the car for a joy-ride?  Probably not.  But if
they found you in the store and let you know that you'd done this, you'd be
happy.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

should hackers be thanked?

Post by Scot Wilcoxo » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:50:06

Try a web search for "jargon file".  Look up the meaning of "hacker" and
"cracker".  Use proper terminology in your report.

should hackers be thanked?

Post by daveh.. » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:11:25

Quote:> Try a web search for "jargon file".  Look up the meaning of "hacker" and
> "cracker".  Use proper terminology in your report.

Good suggestion - in fact, you could twist the assignment a bit, and
discuss how freaking *annoyed* some of us get (ahem!) about the widespread
use by folks who don't understand, of the wrong terminology.

Some instructors get touchy when you don't write exactly what they want,
but my theory on that is:

a. Tough.
b. If they want to read a specific essay, they are free to write it
        themselves.

Think about doing it that way - could be an interesting twist.

Dave Hinz

should hackers be thanked?

Post by QBFrea » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:41:08

Quote:> Good suggestion - in fact, you could twist the assignment a bit, and
> discuss how freaking *annoyed* some of us get (ahem!) about the widespread
> use by folks who don't understand, of the wrong terminology.

> Some instructors get touchy when you don't write exactly what they want,
> but my theory on that is:

> a. Tough.
> b. If they want to read a specific essay, they are free to write it
> themselves.

> Think about doing it that way - could be an interesting twist.

> Dave Hinz

Thanks, if I could I would, but I have to prove the validity of an argument.
Maybe the next paper.

should hackers be thanked?

Post by Nick Bachman » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:26:33

>>Try a web search for "jargon file".  Look up the meaning of "hacker" and
>>"cracker".  Use proper terminology in your report.

> Good suggestion - in fact, you could twist the assignment a bit, and
> discuss how freaking *annoyed* some of us get (ahem!) about the widespread
> use by folks who don't understand, of the wrong terminology.

> Some instructors get touchy when you don't write exactly what they want,

A *good* teacher hopes that you will explore the topic, especially on
larger assignments, and come up with more creative and interesting (i.e.
better) papers for him/her to read.  If every teacher were good, I
wouldn't be writing this, would I? :-)

Quote:> but my theory on that is:

> a. Tough.
> b. If they want to read a specific essay, they are free to write it
>    themselves.

Similarly, when they give you a bad grade, their theory is:

a. Tough.
b. If you want to write a tangent essay, then you are free to write it
        yourself.

--
         Regards,
-----------------------------------

http://hermie.freeshell.org
"To Boldly Go Where Angels Fear To Tread"
     -From the Infocom Game "Stationfall"
-----------------------------------

should hackers be thanked?

Post by QBFrea » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 06:29:26

I know I just said I wasn't going to change it but I did. My argument is
that hackers don't break into computers. Based on what I've heard in the
various NGs I posted my question to and the definitions people have given me
I decided that hackers don't break into computers. I'd go into it more but I
have two papers to write and I'm going to be late for work.

was produced:
> > Try a web search for "jargon file".  Look up the meaning of "hacker" and
> > "cracker".  Use proper terminology in your report.

> Good suggestion - in fact, you could twist the assignment a bit, and
> discuss how freaking *annoyed* some of us get (ahem!) about the widespread
> use by folks who don't understand, of the wrong terminology.

> Some instructors get touchy when you don't write exactly what they want,
> but my theory on that is:

> a. Tough.
> b. If they want to read a specific essay, they are free to write it
> themselves.

> Think about doing it that way - could be an interesting twist.

> Dave Hinz

1. should hackers be thanked?

Maybe this is a little off topic, but I'm looking for opinions for an
english paper. Do you think hackers should be thanked for exploiting your
security holes? Some say yes, if they hadn't showed us they were there we
wouldn't know. Others say no, we don't want to encourage them. I'd like to
know what you think and why you think that.

2. Looking for Ref: Linux/NT/Win 95 Net

3. Am I attacked by hackers?

4. Conversion PCL vers ASCII

5. CAUTION: I am under attack from an incompetent hacker probably in germany

6. Setting up PPP with server using CHAP

7. Am I attacked by hacker?

8. Bug in patch 103901-07 (2.5.1_Recommended)

9. I am fine, thanks.

10. what does the following script do,,, I am a newbee please elaborate thanks

11. perl-hacker != c hacker.. Perl5a8+ binary wanted

12. thank you - thank you??

13. Thank you Joern Staudt(joesta), want u great help, thanks a lot .