Novice Question: Dirty File System

Post by Tim Evan » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On my Dec Alpha running Digital Unix 4b and Progress database I have a
strange problem. From time to time, in no set pattern the systems one
and only NFS disk reports that it is Dirty, and will not be read. The
only solution seems to be a reboot and fsck the disk. Once done the NFS
disk can be read once more. Has anyone else seen this, and found a
permanent cure. The disk in question is used to hold the Progress
executables.

On a related note, does anyone know how to make a disk non-busy so fsck
can be run on it without restarting.

Hope you can help.

Tim

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Tim> On my Dec Alpha running Digital Unix 4b and Progress database I
  Tim> have a strange problem. From time to time, in no set pattern
  Tim> the systems one and only NFS disk reports that it is Dirty, and
  Tim> will not be read. The only solution seems to be a reboot and
  Tim> fsck the disk. Once done the NFS disk can be read once
  Tim> more. Has anyone else seen this, and found a permanent
  Tim> cure. The disk in question is used to hold the Progress
  Tim> executables.

No clue why this might happen, but I know nothing specifically about
Digital Unix.

  Tim> On a related note, does anyone know how to make a disk non-busy
  Tim> so fsck can be run on it without restarting.

Unmount the filesystem to allow fsck to run on it.  This may require
stopping Progress.  However, remounting the filesystem read-only
in-place may allow you to run fsck.

If it is possible to have that disk mounted read-only all the time
(that is, if it *only* contains executables) then that in fact might
prevent recurrence of this problem.

Post by Geoffrey C Marshal » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> On my Dec Alpha running Digital Unix 4b and Progress database I have a
> strange problem. From time to time, in no set pattern the systems one
> and only NFS disk reports that it is Dirty, and will not be read. The
> only solution seems to be a reboot and fsck the disk. Once done the NFS
> disk can be read once more. Has anyone else seen this, and found a
> permanent cure. The disk in question is used to hold the Progress
> executables.

> On a related note, does anyone know how to make a disk non-busy so fsck
> can be run on it without restarting.

> Hope you can help.

> Tim

Make sure that nobody has a file open (which *includes*
haveing a 'current directory') on the filesystem.

Geoff..