Printing jobs via a print server

Post by Cosmo Le » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Unixware 2.1.2

Printing to a printer via a print server is new to me.  Previously, I've
set up printers via `lpadmin` for printers directly connected to the
computer.

We recently bought an Axis print server.  It has a script which sets up
the printers connected to the print server.  I don't completely
understand how it works, but in the /etc/lp/printers directory, it has
set up a "configuration" file indicating that the printer is "Remote:
axis!hp3".

I gather that the lp subsystem forwards a print job to the print server
thorough some TCP/IP mechanism.  My question is how do I modify print
jobs destined for the print server?  In the past, I'd modify a script in
the /usr/lp/spool/admins/lp/interface directory.  I could set up
switches to indicate Portrait or Landscape mode, Font size, etc.
However, with the network printer, the does not exist any such file.

I tried adding such a file by runing `lpadmin -p hp3 -m model_printer",
however the system responded that I could not use such an option for a
remote printer.

TIA.

ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"

Printing jobs via a print server

Post by DET » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I use SCO OS/5, but the issues are much the same (we use axis too, BTW).
Unfortunately, you can't filter a print job intended for a remote host. The
idea is that the remote host will do that. Not exactly easy with a little
axis box.

What we do to get around it is this: We define a local printer (say,
localprint, for this discussion) with output device /dev/null. We define a
remote printer (remoteprint) which points at the axis. We go into
/usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces, where the filter scripts are on SCO. We
modify the localprint script so that all stdio is piped to the remote
printer. A very simple and stripped-down script would be something like:

#------------
# do stuff to get the filename into $file
#
(
# do many things. filter, whatever.
cat $file
) | lp -dremoteprint -s
#--------------

The print job ends up passing through two stages. It's a kludge, but it
works.

Quote:>Unixware 2.1.2

>Printing to a printer via a print server is new to me.  Previously, I've
>set up printers via `lpadmin` for printers directly connected to the
>computer.

>We recently bought an Axis print server.  It has a script which sets up
>the printers connected to the print server.  I don't completely
>understand how it works, but in the /etc/lp/printers directory, it has
>set up a "configuration" file indicating that the printer is "Remote:
>axis!hp3".

>I gather that the lp subsystem forwards a print job to the print server
>thorough some TCP/IP mechanism.  My question is how do I modify print
>jobs destined for the print server?  In the past, I'd modify a script in
>the /usr/lp/spool/admins/lp/interface directory.  I could set up
>switches to indicate Portrait or Landscape mode, Font size, etc.
>However, with the network printer, the does not exist any such file.

>I tried adding such a file by runing `lpadmin -p hp3 -m model_printer",
>however the system responded that I could not use such an option for a
>remote printer.

>TIA.

>--
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

>Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

>                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Printing jobs via a print server

Post by Cosmo Le » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hmmm, yes, that's kind what I thought we'd have to do.  I was wondering if
there was another, less kludgy way.

I'm not familiar with the mechanism used where print jobs get sent to remote
hosts other than uucp.  How is this done with the Axis?   Some kind of TCP/IP
protocol, I'm guessing . . .

Thanks.

> I use SCO OS/5, but the issues are much the same (we use axis too, BTW).
> Unfortunately, you can't filter a print job intended for a remote host. The
> idea is that the remote host will do that. Not exactly easy with a little
> axis box.

> What we do to get around it is this: We define a local printer (say,
> localprint, for this discussion) with output device /dev/null. We define a
> remote printer (remoteprint) which points at the axis. We go into
> /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces, where the filter scripts are on SCO. We
> modify the localprint script so that all stdio is piped to the remote
> printer. A very simple and stripped-down script would be something like:

> #------------
> # do stuff to get the filename into $file
> #
> (
> # do many things. filter, whatever.
> cat $file
> ) | lp -dremoteprint -s
> #--------------

> The print job ends up passing through two stages. It's a kludge, but it
> works.

> >Unixware 2.1.2

> >Printing to a printer via a print server is new to me.  Previously, I've
> >set up printers via `lpadmin` for printers directly connected to the
> >computer.

> >We recently bought an Axis print server.  It has a script which sets up
> >the printers connected to the print server.  I don't completely
> >understand how it works, but in the /etc/lp/printers directory, it has
> >set up a "configuration" file indicating that the printer is "Remote:
> >axis!hp3".

> >I gather that the lp subsystem forwards a print job to the print server
> >thorough some TCP/IP mechanism.  My question is how do I modify print
> >jobs destined for the print server?  In the past, I'd modify a script in
> >the /usr/lp/spool/admins/lp/interface directory.  I could set up
> >switches to indicate Portrait or Landscape mode, Font size, etc.
> >However, with the network printer, the does not exist any such file.

> >I tried adding such a file by runing `lpadmin -p hp3 -m model_printer",
> >however the system responded that I could not use such an option for a
> >remote printer.

> >TIA.

> >--
> >* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> >ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

> >Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

> >                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"
> >* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"

Printing jobs via a print server

Post by DET » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Again, I can only speak for SCO, but if you have a tcp/ip-based lan going
then you are using the lpd protocol. It's pretty transparent. As long as
/etc/hosts and /etc/printcap are set up properly, and the destination host
recognizes the protocol (which axis does), you shouldn't have to fuss to
much with it.

> [...]

>> >I tried adding such a file by runing `lpadmin -p hp3 -m model_printer",
>> >however the system responded that I could not use such an option for a
>> >remote printer.

>> >TIA.

>> >--
>> >* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> >ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

>> >Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

>> >                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"
>> >* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

>--
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

>Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

>                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Post by Cosmo Le » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Unixware 2.1.2

 Hmmm,  I've tried setting up a printer in the simplest possible way.

I've defined the printer "hp3", device as  /dev/null.  But even with the
printer interface stripped down to a minimum, I get an error.

# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: hp3
system for axis1-hp3: axis1 (as printer pr6)
device for hp3: /dev/null
hp3 accepting requests since Wed Jun 10 23:41:26 EDT 1998
printer hp3 waiting for auto-retry. available.
        stopped with printer fault

hp3 interface file:

# cat hp3
                                exit 0
#

# ls -l /dev/null
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     sys       39,  0 Jun 11 01:32 /dev/null
#

The following is mailed to root, as a result of the printer fault:

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 98 01:37 EDT

Subject: Problem with printer hp3

        The printer hp3 has stopped printing for the reason given below.
        Fix the problem and bring the printer back on line.
        Printing has stopped, but will be restarted in a few minutes;
        issue an enable command if you want to restart sooner.
        Unless someone issues a change request

                lp -i hp3-38 -P ...

        to change the page list to print, the current request will be reprinted

from
        the beginning.

        The reason(s) it stopped (multiple reasons indicate repeated attempts):

        The interface program could not be executed.

The email claims that the interface program could not be executed, but the
interface program _is_ executable:

# ls -l /usr/lib/lp/model/hp3
-rwxr-xr-x    1 lp       lp           164 Jun 11 01:36 /usr/lib/lp/model/hp3
#

Any ideas why this "printer fault" is happening???   TIA.

Post by jerry sutto » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Unixware 2.1.2

>  Hmmm,  I've tried setting up a printer in the simplest possible way.

> I've defined the printer "hp3", device as  /dev/null.  But even with the
> printer interface stripped down to a minimum, I get an error.

> # lpstat -t
> scheduler is running
> system default destination: hp3
> system for axis1-hp3: axis1 (as printer pr6)
> device for hp3: /dev/null
> hp3 accepting requests since Wed Jun 10 23:41:26 EDT 1998
> printer hp3 waiting for auto-retry. available.
>         stopped with printer fault

> hp3 interface file:

> # cat hp3
>                                 exit 0
> #

> # ls -l /dev/null
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     sys       39,  0 Jun 11 01:32 /dev/null
> #

> The following is mailed to root, as a result of the printer fault:

> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 98 01:37 EDT

> Subject: Problem with printer hp3

>         The printer hp3 has stopped printing for the reason given below.
<snip>
> > >remote printer.

> > >TIA.

> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

> Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

>                  "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Is there a symbolic link in /etc/lp/interfaces pointing to the script
in /usr/lib/lp/model?  That's how lpadmin set my Laserjet.
--

and of course, I don't speak on behalf of my employer

1. Howto send print jobs to a remote print server (SMC Barricade)

Hi,

I've recently purchased an SMC Barricade router/gateway that has an onboard
print server.  My linux box connects to the Barricade via ethernet and the
Barricade connects to the printer via a parallel port.

The Barricade router/gateway is advertised as supporting linux print jobs.

What do I need to do to be able to send print jobs to the print server on the
Barricade?

Thanks,

Michael

2. rebuilding kernel for NIC?

3. how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

4. Strange physical hard disk failures

5. send print job to NT print server

6. Fonts and files

7. lpd stops sending queued print jobs to remote Print Server.

8. Primary DNS server

9. how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

10. OpenServer 5.0.2: big print jobs to print server restart.

11. What TCP port is used for AIX printing to print server via spooler?

12. Printing via print server

13. Newbie Q - Print from AIX via NT print server