DHCP Server Setup - where is config files location

DHCP Server Setup - where is config files location

Post by sophial.. » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:11:12

Hi all,

I am trying to setup DHCP server on my SunOS5.6 machine.

I have found the dhcpd in /usr/lib/inet/in.dhcpd directory. I have
configured it using dhcpconfig tool.  It seems running now (not tested
yet).

My question is where (which directory) I can find the configuration
file?  And what is the configuration filename?  I would like to modify
and verify it directly without using the dhcpconfig tool everytime.

I went to /etc/dhcp and it only has initab file.
Anything else I would need to do to setup the dhcpd?

Thank you for your help.

Sophia

Post by John Doher » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:31:04

> I am trying to setup DHCP server on my SunOS5.6 machine.

Don't worry, it's easy.

Quote:> I have found the dhcpd in /usr/lib/inet/in.dhcpd directory. I have
> configured it using dhcpconfig tool.  It seems running now (not tested
> yet).

If it is in fact running, you should be able to find in.dhcpd in
the output of ps -a.

Quote:> My question is where (which directory) I can find the configuration
> file?  And what is the configuration filename?

/var/dhcp/dhcptab and also /var/dhcp/<network number>, where
<network number> is an IP network number with the dots replaced
by underscores.

So for example, if you are serving clients on network 192.168.1.0,
you will find a file named /var/dhcp/192_168_1_0.

man dhcptab for more info.

--

DHCP Server Setup - where is config files location

Post by sophial.. » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:02:33

Thanks for the information.  The problem seems to be that the
dhcpconfig tool didn't create the dhcptab file under the directory I
specified.  The problem was fixed after the etc/netmasks file was
updated with the right mask for the subnet configured via the
dhcpconfig tool.

i.e. If the subnet enterred via the dhcpconfig is 10.1.1.0, the
netmasks file needs to have an entry for the subet with 255.255.255.0.

Sophia

> > I am trying to setup DHCP server on my SunOS5.6 machine.

> Don't worry, it's easy.

> > I have found the dhcpd in /usr/lib/inet/in.dhcpd directory. I have
> > configured it using dhcpconfig tool.  It seems running now (not tested
> > yet).

> If it is in fact running, you should be able to find in.dhcpd in
> the output of ps -a.

> > My question is where (which directory) I can find the configuration
> > file?  And what is the configuration filename?

> /var/dhcp/dhcptab and also /var/dhcp/<network number>, where
> <network number> is an IP network number with the dots replaced
> by underscores.

> So for example, if you are serving clients on network 192.168.1.0,
> you will find a file named /var/dhcp/192_168_1_0.

> man dhcptab for more info.

> --

1. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

DHCP fails to configure a network connection, even after it worked
wonderfully for an ftp install of RH 5.1 and I retained the network
configuration during the install process.  The relevant message on the
console during bootup is: DHCP ... failed.  The only message in
/var/log/messages that appears to be relevant is "no DHCPOFFER".
/sbin/ifconfig lists nothing for eth0.

A number of modules relevant to DHCP are loaded. I assume that all
necessary modules have been loaded.  The eithernet card also appears
to be correctly recognized.

I've read but not yet tried the Red Hat hacks listed in the DHCPcd
mini-HOWTO.  Has anyone successfully used these on RH 5.1?

Thanks,
Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. Changing Resolutions

3. I am having fun with Slack, but need help with DHCP setup

4. Using NCR_SLACK.2

5. Easy to setup/config Linux File server distro

6. VM and swap - it's really unusable

7. The config file's location

8. help with jed editor

9. Location of Taylor UUCP config file?

10. Location of 'taskbar' config files under KDE 3

11. Slackware 1.2.0/Taylor uucp config file locations

12. Tomcat/Apache config - location of .jsp files

13. Networking config file locations?