Ratio of Unix seats / Unix Sys Admin

Post by David Macy-Beckwi » Fri, 06 Aug 1993 08:27:35

>>Are there any good sources that describe the average or expected ratio
>>between the number of Unix seats and the number of Unix Sys Admins.

>>Are there any parameters of a network environment that could help
>>predict this ratio.

>Strange.  Everyone seems to be asking these types of questions lately.
>The problem is that it varies VERY wildly depending on the organization,
>type of layout, cenrtal or distributed, types of users, types of applications,
>number of users, level of SA's, goals, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....
>Wish I could point you in a direction....  I guess you could poll people,
>but even that info would be useless without a 10 - 20 page explanation from
>each person to address the above criteria :(

There's an article on this topic in the April '92 issue of UNIX Review
in the "Daemons and Dragons" column.  It's by Rob Kolstad and details the
results of a poll of sysadmins at the '91 LISA conference.

As Mark notes, the answer varies greatly.   We use 1:30 as our ratio, and that
data is based primarily on experience and is not applicable to another site
with different equipment, personnel, users, distribution, and procedures.

Enjoy!

David Macy-Beckwith     "Consider it pure joy..."   James 1:2
Computer Sciences Corporation           VOX:    619-573-3523
Technology Mgmt Division                FAX:    619-573-3161

David Macy-Beckwith     "Consider it pure joy..."   James 1:2
Computer Sciences Corporation           VOX:    619-573-3523
Technology Mgmt Division                FAX:    619-573-3161

Ratio of Unix seats / Unix Sys Admin

Post by Moodys Investors Servi » Wed, 11 Aug 1993 07:28:55

You may not believe this:  Before I trained an IBM guy the ratio was
700:1, plus we have a dba, who makes life hell...