ignite

Post by Nadine Weis » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:00:58

i don't fin the equivalent of ignite dat on Sun Solaris to backup the system

How can I do or which tools can i use

Thanks

ignite

Post by Bitt Faul » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:08:02

> i don't fin the equivalent of ignite dat on Sun Solaris to backup the
> system

There are many Ignite commands.  Do you mean make_tape_recovery?  If so,
flarcreate is very close.  But it's a fairly new command, and has only
existed since Solaris 8 4/01, IIRC.

--
Bitt Faulk

ignite

Post by Doug Freyburg » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:16:17

> i don't find the equivalent of ignite dat on Sun Solaris to backup the system

AIX's mksysb was ported to HPUX and called make_tape_recovery part of Ignite.

The tool is not available on Solaris.  It would be *fabulous* to have this
excellent tool available on Solaris.

On Solaris, make dumps of each partition of the boot disk or the boot logical
volume.  Put them on a no-rewind tape so they are end to end.  To recover, boot
single user mode using the installation CD-ROM.  Partition the drive or disk
group, recover from your tape, run installboot.

ignite

Post by Jeremy Loukina » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 03:55:11

Won't a  single user level 0 ufsdump do just the same?

I have used those before and they work fine.

Quote:> i don't fin the equivalent of ignite dat on Sun Solaris to backup the
system

> How can I do or which tools can i use

> Thanks

ignite

Post by Doug Freyburg » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:46:51

> Won't a  single user level 0 ufsdump do just the same?

No.  Level 0 dumps only contain data that resides inside of the filesystems
they back up.  The original AIK mksysb and its port HPUX make_ignite_tape
both produce *bootable* tapes (there is a workaround using an installation
CD-ROM) that contain all of the data in the filesystems on the boot drive
or boot logical volume (level 0 dumps have this), and they also contain a
boot block (there is a workaround using installboot on Solaris), plus they
also contain all of the partitioning data or logical volume data that does
NOT reside within the filesystem (no workaround available).

Jumpstart now supports a flash option that comes very close.  In a disaster
recovery scenario, bootable tapes mean you can install many servers in
parallel (the most I've done in parallel so far is 2) rather than building
a Jumpstart server from scratch first.