Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by John » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Mark Manasi writes one of the most incredible books for Windows NT.
I was wondering if there is a really good book for UNIX system admin?

-john

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Desmond Coughl » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Mark Manasi writes one of the most incredible books for Windows NT.
> I was wondering if there is a really good book for UNIX system admin?

Try the O'Reilly series (http://unix.oreilly.com/).  Their 'UNIX CD
Bookshelf', and 'Networking CDROM Bookshelf' are great.  I export
them on our internal webserver, and so have access to them from
anywhere in the building.

--
Desmond Coughlan                   |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

http://www.coughlan.net/desmond

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Matthew C Weig » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> Mark Manasi writes one of the most incredible books for Windows NT.
>> I was wondering if there is a really good book for UNIX system admin?

>Try the O'Reilly series (http://unix.oreilly.com/).  Their 'UNIX CD
>Bookshelf', and 'Networking CDROM Bookshelf' are great.  I export
>them on our internal webserver, and so have access to them from
>anywhere in the building.

Hi Desi,

You left out the important one: Essential System Administration (another
O'Reilly book but not in the UNIX CD Bookshelf).  Evi Nemeth's UNIX System
Administration Handbook will probably be good when another edition comes
out, as well (as it is, it's five years out of date, and seemed to focus too
much on specifics to be helpful that long after it's published).

Aside from that, for someone who already knows a smidgen about UNIX, I would
recommend UNIX Power Tools alone over the CD Bookshelf; it's only $10
cheaper, but having it hard copy is a lot more useful than UNIX in Nutshell
hard copy.

The Networking CD Bookshelf is good too, although they leave out what I
would consider an essential -- Managing NIS & NFS.

They seem to provide the hardcopy of the book that sells the worst,
unfortunately.

--
 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Sysadmin/Student

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> >> Mark Manasi writes one of the most incredible books for Windows NT.
> >> I was wondering if there is a really good book for UNIX system admin?

> >Try the O'Reilly series (http://unix.oreilly.com/).  Their 'UNIX CD
> >Bookshelf', and 'Networking CDROM Bookshelf' are great.  I export
> >them on our internal webserver, and so have access to them from
> >anywhere in the building.
> Hi Desi,

> You left out the important one: Essential System Administration (another
> O'Reilly book but not in the UNIX CD Bookshelf).  Evi Nemeth's UNIX System
> Administration Handbook will probably be good when another edition comes
> out, as well (as it is, it's five years out of date, and seemed to focus too
> much on specifics to be helpful that long after it's published).

        You can't really go by Desi, Matt.  Everyone has told him to pick
up the bat book and read it but he continues to ask the same
sendmail question over and over.

                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Matthew C Weig » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>    You can't really go by Desi, Matt.  Everyone has told him to pick
>up the bat book and read it but he continues to ask the same
>sendmail question over and over.

Wasn't trying to.  And I think you mean the armadillo book, since the
sendmail reference is included in the Network Bookshelf.

--
 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Sysadmin/Student

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Matthew C Weig » Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> >up the bat book and read it but he continues to ask the same
>> >sendmail question over and over.
>    No, the bat book -- 900+ pages all on the sendmail we know and
>love.

Oh, right.  Has the book and doesn't use it.  The light, she shines down on
me!

--

Post by John Ot » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Mark Manasi writes one of the most incredible books for Windows NT.
> > I was wondering if there is a really good book for UNIX system admin?

> Try the O'Reilly series (http://unix.oreilly.com/).  Their 'UNIX CD
> Bookshelf', and 'Networking CDROM Bookshelf' are great.  I export
> them on our internal webserver, and so have access to them from
> anywhere in the building.

> -

The UNIX CD bookshelf is aimed more at end users.

I like "Essential System Administration"  by AEleen Frish for
Administrative tasks.

later
John

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Arvid Elstrod » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> You can't really go by Desi, Matt.  Everyone has told him to pick
> up the bat book and read it but he continues to ask the same
> sendmail question over and over.

Will you and Desmond please give it a rest now !
I -and with me I think most other subscribers to this group- am not
interested in reading stuff about the issues between the two of you.
I have seen this for a few months now and have kept silent all the time, but
now I've had it.
Please keep your personal issues out of this newsgroup, as well as other
unix-related groups.

Kind regards,

Arvid Elstrodt
The Netherlands

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > You can't really go by Desi, Matt.  Everyone has told him to pick
> > up the bat book and read it but he continues to ask the same
> > sendmail question over and over.
> Will you and Desmond please give it a rest now !

        [...Arvid's off-topic personal issues snipped...]

        So what do you have against the bat book, Arvid?

                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD      *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
**********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"
http://members.home.net/oldno7

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Desmond Coughl » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> Will you and Desmond please give it a rest now !

Arvid, whilst I share your irritation at this individual's rather
disturbing obsession with me, and how this leads him to spam
technical groups with his immature attempts to gain my attention,
I must point out that I do not respond to his posts.  The posts
made here in my name, were made from a Talkway host, posted in the
United States.

I suggest you killfile him (killfile me, if you wish), and I can
assure you that you will not see any mention of him in my posts.

[snip]

--

Post by /usr/loc » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> [snip]

> > Will you and Desmond please give it a rest now !

> Arvid, whilst I share your irritation at this individual's rather
> disturbing obsession with me, and how this leads him to spam
> technical groups with his immature attempts to gain my attention,
> I must point out that I do not respond to his posts.  The posts
> made here in my name, were made from a Talkway host, posted in the
> United States.

> I suggest you killfile him (killfile me, if you wish), and I can
> assure you that you will not see any mention of him in my posts.

his posts.

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by marvi » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > > Mark Manasi writes one of the most incredible books for Windows NT.
> > > I was wondering if there is a really good book for UNIX system admin?

> > Try the O'Reilly series (http://unix.oreilly.com/).  Their 'UNIX CD
> > Bookshelf', and 'Networking CDROM Bookshelf' are great.  I export
> > them on our internal webserver, and so have access to them from
> > anywhere in the building.

> > -

> The UNIX CD bookshelf is aimed more at end users.

> I like "Essential System Administration"  by AEleen Frish for
> Administrative tasks.

> later
> John

Hi !

First of all it is very good to know how system works in detail.
At that point, I would prefere Bach's "The Design Of Unix Operating
System".
For system administration, I learned a lot from already installed
Answer Book. For security, I think the first book I recommend would
be "A Hackers guide to protect your Internet and Network".

p.s.All titles are from my head, they may varie a little bit.

Alex

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by Desmond Coughl » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> >Try the O'Reilly series (http://unix.oreilly.com/).  Their 'UNIX CD
> >Bookshelf', and 'Networking CDROM Bookshelf' are great.  I export
> >them on our internal webserver, and so have access to them from
> >anywhere in the building.
> Hi Desi,

No, that was I who made that post, Matthew.

[snip]

Quote:> They seem to provide the hardcopy of the book that sells the worst,
> unfortunately.

Indeed, I gave that book to my assistant ...  :-)

--

Post by maham.. » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Will you and Desmond please give it a rest now !
> I -and with me I think most other subscribers to this group- am not
> interested in reading stuff about the issues between the two of you.
> I have seen this for a few months now and have kept silent all the
time, but
> now I've had it.
> Please keep your personal issues out of this newsgroup, as well as
other
> unix-related groups.

> Kind regards,

Arvid,

The best way to deal with this insecure childishness is to just ignore
it.  In other words, dont feed the trolls, they probably wont go away
but lets not encourage them. I know its not easy, but its like the
class clowns in middle school; Remember them? The teacher always warned
the rest of us to not give them the attention they crave with their
outbursts.  That is about all we can do.

Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Good Sys Admin Book?

Post by J.D. Baldw » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Evi Nemeth's UNIX System Administration Handbook will probably be
> good when another edition comes out, as well (as it is, it's five
> years out of date, and seemed to focus too much on specifics to be
> helpful that long after it's published).

Another edition is due out in a few weeks.  I find this by far the
most practically-oriented system administration book around.  I also
couldn't do without the three O'Reilly "CD Bookshelves":  UNIX, Perl
and Networking.
--
 From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin  |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I

 _|70|___:::)=}-  for PGP public    |+| retract it, but also to deny under
 \      /         key information.  |+| oath that I ever said it." --T. Lehrer

1. Need a good Sys Admin book, and that damn delete key!!

Try Essential Systems Administration.  I've heard it recommended many
many times :)  So many times in fact, I borrowed if from my Uncle.
Plus, it comes with a CD that has some great sys tools on it!

good luck.

that i can't help ya with.

bill

2. Bug in Linuxdoc?

3. Thanks! (Was: Any good sys admin book ...)

4. Help streamlining Apache authentication

5. Good Sys admin books for SCO?

6. problems compiling xawtv-nagra-2.25qe

7. Good (or the best) Sys Admin book?

8. Linux can't find my modem. Eeek!

9. Suggest good books on Sys/Net Admin

10. LOOKING FOR GOOD LINUX SYS ADMIN BOOK

11. Which is the good book for Unix Admin book ?

12. Sys Admin book recomendation?

13. Solaris Sys Admin Book