HELP: SunOS and 28800 modem speed on dial-in

HELP: SunOS and 28800 modem speed on dial-in

Post by Peer Torngr » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 20:30:00

I've just taken out my good old 2400 modem and replaced
it with a good new ACEEX 28800 modem (which will be updated
to V.34 in a matter of weeks?). To my surprise :-) I had
some problems ...

The setup is:
SunOS 4.1.3
Axil HWS210
Old and running 9600 modem on Port A (Bullet 9696)
Brand new ACEEX 28800 on Port B

Before the swap, a 2400 modem was running OK on port B
(Discovery 2400C).

I have edited all the necessary files (I think):
/etc/ttytab
/etc/remote
/etc/gettytab
and added/modified entries to support 19200 and 28800 speeds,
similar to the existing entries for other speeds.

I've set the modem up with "normal" init sequence:
AT&F&D3V1Q0E1L0S0=1&C1M1&W

*** PROBLEMS ***

1/ I cannot run it in 28800 speed, SunOS reports invalid
baud rate. I manage on 19200, though.

2/ I cannot dial in at all. The modem answers correctly, and
synchronizes on correct speed (CONNECT 19200), but displays
garbage when login prompt should be present (typical speed
problem, as it appears). I've tried dialling from:
- PC using another (identical) ACEEX modem
- PC using a known good 2400 modem (which runs OK on port A 9600 modem)
- Port A on same WS using a known good 9600 modem (tip modem, atdt...)

3/ I cannot dial out to a known good 9600 modem. "tip modemb" is OK,
and I can dial the A port on my machine using ATDT commands. The
modem sometimes connect at 19200, sometimes at 9600, but always
drops the line before a login prompt is displayed. This is strange,
since the other modem is only capable of 9600?

None of my sysadm books makes it any clearer. I just can't
understand what I am doing wrong?

PLEASE HELP! Any ideas or hints will be greatly appreciated!
I refuse to believe that a 28800 modem is *that* different from a
2400 or 9600!
--
Peer Toerngren, WM-data Konsult AB, S Kyrkogatan 4, S-652 24 Karlstad (Sweden)
Tel:   +46-(0)54/18 04 25               Fax:   +46-(0)54/15 67 85

"Proper disclaimer applies wherever applicable."

Post by Operat » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 14:54:16

: I've just taken out my good old 2400 modem and replaced
: it with a good new ACEEX 28800 modem (which will be updated
: to V.34 in a matter of weeks?). To my surprise :-) I had
: some problems ...

Peer,

I went through a hellish time a few weeks ago installing my
USR 28.8 modem on my Sparc 1+ running SunOS 4.1.3...If you want,
I can also email you all the advise that I had gotten back then.

A couple tips to (maybe) help you along:

- The max serial port speed is 38400 bps.  You have to run it
  at either 9600, 19200 or 38400 (as far as I know).  Make
  sure you set the eeprom settings correctly.  You should
  type something like...

        eeprom ttyb-mode=38400,8,n,1,

  to set the port speed.  Watch out for your dip switch settings,
  and try disabling extended response codes on your modem.
  Try to get it to work dialing out first...try just tip
  cua1 and AT commands, then graduate to a host name, and
  then to dial-in.  This way you'll be sure to isolate
  your problems better.

  Also, try disabling compression and error correction if the
  other suggestions don't work.

  I hope this helps!

                -Chris