forgot root password on AT&T System V Unix

forgot root password on AT&T System V Unix

Post by Waman » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:52:06

My boss just gave me an AT&T Intuity system with USL UNIX System V
Release 4.2 loaded. This is a 486,25MHZ old machine. Nobody knows the
root password. The system boots ok, but without the root password, I
can't get in to look for some information.  Could anybody help?
1. Can I get into the single-user mode with combination of keystroke?
or
2. Do I need to get bootable floppy disk to boot it up and where to
get it?

Thanks for all your help.

forgot root password on AT&T System V Unix

Post by David C. Najaria » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 05:35:33

Sounds like a derivative of AT&T's old Starserver. Dusting off that section
of my long dead brain, I think you need to boot unix from a floppy (or a
tape depending on the version), then mount the root image from the hard
drive to another directory. From there you can go for the password and
shadow file.

There is probably a formal way to boot Unix from floppy/tape. But I think
you can simply hit the delete key at the installation menu.

Quote:> My boss just gave me an AT&T Intuity system with USL UNIX System V
> Release 4.2 loaded. This is a 486,25MHZ old machine. Nobody knows the
> root password. The system boots ok, but without the root password, I
> can't get in to look for some information.  Could anybody help?
> 1. Can I get into the single-user mode with combination of keystroke?
> or
> 2. Do I need to get bootable floppy disk to boot it up and where to
> get it?

> Thanks for all your help.

1. forgot my root password is there a way to get in the system again?

While installing redhats 5.2 I typed in my root password very quickly in a
dark room. The first time it booted it booted OK but  I am not able to login
as root ,,,,

I want to use linuxconf to change the root password but I get no permission
of the system to do so

while looging in normally I get the error:  Login Incorrect.

I hope there is a way to correct that by a special bootup command in the
loader but even in the linux emergency and the linux single resque modes i
was not able to use linuxconf.

Do you have an Idea how to?

rene verstraeten

2. Newbie having routing problems

3. Q:forgot the root password on ss10.how to get in as root?

4. Diff in SSI behaviour b/w NCSA & Apache

5. Common user-IDs & passwords on Netware & Unix systems

6. make dep fails

7. root password forgot

8. Project : Linux Internet Server Admin Guide

9. Root password forgotten

10. forgot root password

11. root password forget

12. Forgotten Root Password - Help!