Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by argos.. » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00



HI all,

We are about to move our servers from one
location to another.  This will involve
changing the configurations and IP addresses.

I notice that our FTP server (a Sparc 10) has a file:

/etc/hostname.le0

while our other larger servers have the file:

/etc/hostname.hme0

ifconfig -a for the ftp server gives:

lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.30.8 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.30.255

For consistency, is it ok to rename the file:

/etc/hostname.le0
to
/etc/hostname.hme0
???

Will everything still work correctly?

Thanks,

Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00



>HI all,

>We are about to move our servers from one
>location to another.  This will involve
>changing the configurations and IP addresses.

>I notice that our FTP server (a Sparc 10) has a file:

>/etc/hostname.le0

>while our other larger servers have the file:

>/etc/hostname.hme0

>ifconfig -a for the ftp server gives:

>lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
>        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
>le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 192.168.30.8 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.30.255

>For consistency, is it ok to rename the file:

>/etc/hostname.le0
>to
>/etc/hostname.hme0
>???

>Will everything still work correctly?

The suffix of the hostname has to match the interface name.  If the machine
has an le0 interface, it must be named hostname.le0; if it has an hme0
interface, it must be named hostname.hme0.  The name of the interface is
dependent on the hardware configuration.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by Dhirendra Kubai » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00


hi

how does one find out whether a hardware has a le0 interface or hme0 interface

dhiru



> >HI all,

> >We are about to move our servers from one
> >location to another.  This will involve
> >changing the configurations and IP addresses.

> >I notice that our FTP server (a Sparc 10) has a file:

> >/etc/hostname.le0

> >while our other larger servers have the file:

> >/etc/hostname.hme0

> >ifconfig -a for the ftp server gives:

> >lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
> >        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
> >le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >        inet 192.168.30.8 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.30.255

> >For consistency, is it ok to rename the file:

> >/etc/hostname.le0
> >to
> >/etc/hostname.hme0
> >???

> >Will everything still work correctly?

> The suffix of the hostname has to match the interface name.  If the machine
> has an le0 interface, it must be named hostname.le0; if it has an hme0
> interface, it must be named hostname.hme0.  The name of the interface is
> dependent on the hardware configuration.

> --

> Genuity, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00


|For consistency, is it ok to rename the file:
|
|/etc/hostname.le0
|to
|/etc/hostname.hme0
|???
|
|Will everything still work correctly?

Only if the computer actually has an hme0 as well as an le0
ethernet interface, and you move the ethernet cable from the
le0 interface to the hme0 interface.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com
No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

 
 
 

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> how does one find out whether a hardware has a le0 interface or hme0 interface

Well, out of the box, all SPARC prior to the Ultra 1 had an le interface,
while the newer machines use hme.  As to what additional cards are installed,
check the /var/adm/messages file.  ifconfig -a will list all configured
interfaces, but you might have an card that's not configured.

The best thing to do is to get to know your hardware!

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

 
 
 

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by Matthew C Weig » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>hi

>how does one find out whether a hardware has a le0 interface or hme0
>interface

Use dmesg(1).
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Sysadmin/Student

 
 
 

Rename /etc/hostname.le0?

Post by argos.. » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00


HI all,

Thanks for your responses.  I'll just leave it as is.

Ciao



> HI all,

> We are about to move our servers from one
> location to another.  This will involve
> changing the configurations and IP addresses.

> I notice that our FTP server (a Sparc 10) has a file:

> /etc/hostname.le0

> while our other larger servers have the file:

> /etc/hostname.hme0

> ifconfig -a for the ftp server gives:

> lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
> le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.30.8 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.30.255

> For consistency, is it ok to rename the file:

> /etc/hostname.le0
> to
> /etc/hostname.hme0
> ???

> Will everything still work correctly?

> Thanks,

> Argosy

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

1. le0:1 --> /etc/hostname.le0:1 ??

: I have set up a virtual interface on le0:1.
:
: To bring it up on startup, I have a short script in /etc/init.d (linked
: into /etc/rc4.d). I am wondering, should I define a hostname.le0:1 file
: for it? And change the /etc/rcS.d/S30rootusr.sh script to look for :* ?
: Right now, it just looks for /etc/hostname.*[0-9].

   We have several virtual machines running to support our web sites.
Everything works fine... and we never added hostname.le0:? files.
Make sure however you modify the sendmail config files to accept mail
from these new domain names if you wish them to.
:
: le0:1 is in a different (DNS) domain than le0, will that affect what I
: would put in hostname.le0:1?
:
: thanks
: ~Frank
:  -- I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is futile.  You will be approximated. --
:  --   If you build it, they will come --> http://www.tdx.org/~fcusack/    --
:  -- PGP key fingerprint: 01 C0 C0 B9 CC 78 67 0F  3F 64 80 65 8B 0F F9 EA --

--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the Information SuperHighway, I'm the guy with a hat driving 50 in the fast
lane with my blinker on and my seatbelt hanging out the door making sparks.
          >>>>> HTTP://CDNOW.COM - BIGGEST FASTEST BEST <<<<<

2. Newbie: Controlling/configuring gnome desktop without control panel

3. load le0:1, le0:2, etc. on reboot

4. __rtaccess undefined CC 4.2

5. hostname.le0 and hostname.hme0

6. UNIX on laptops responses

7. Use hostname or hostname.domain.name in /etc/hosts??

8. Need help with linux rlogin

9. hostname.le0...

10. 2.6 DHCP client: mode 666 on /etc/dhcp/le0.dhc?

11. file I/O, rename, etc.

12. rename() doesn't return -1 when it does not really rename

13. Problem with hostnames starting with hyphens, stars, etc. (but works fine on windows!)