HELP! a NIS or fbackup problem

Post by Zebra Zhan » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I installed NIS server in a HP9000/745 with HP-UX10.20 system. It seems
work normally for several months until last week. When the ypbind is up,
the fbackup command will hang; kill the ypbind and kill the fbackup,
then I can complete the fbackup.

I installed the latest patches PHKL_16750 & PHNE_17098, but I feel not
able to benefit from them.

Advice please. I've worked for a week on it.

Thanks in advance.
Zebra

Post by pe.. » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I installed NIS server in a HP9000/745 with HP-UX10.20 system. It seems
> work normally for several months until last week. When the ypbind is up,
> the fbackup command will hang; kill the ypbind and kill the fbackup,
> then I can complete the fbackup.

is it really* or is it waiting for your (slow) NIS-server
to respond ? It might be really slow with NIS you know ....

(tcpdump or other network trace would show)

Quote:> I installed the latest patches PHKL_16750 & PHNE_17098, but I feel not
> able to benefit from them.
> Advice please. I've worked for a week on it.
> Thanks in advance.
> Zebra

Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

HELP! a NIS or fbackup problem

Post by Lane Zhan » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
This machine is running as NIS server. Just is it have the fbackup problem.
Other machine like it's NIS client, slave server, have not the problem.

Thanks your reply.
Zebra.

>> I installed NIS server in a HP9000/745 with HP-UX10.20 system. It seems
>> work normally for several months until last week. When the ypbind is up,
>> the fbackup command will hang; kill the ypbind and kill the fbackup,
>> then I can complete the fbackup.

>is it really* or is it waiting for your (slow) NIS-server
>to respond ? It might be really slow with NIS you know ....

>(tcpdump or other network trace would show)

>> I installed the latest patches PHKL_16750 & PHNE_17098, but I feel not
>> able to benefit from them.

>> Advice please. I've worked for a week on it.

>> Thanks in advance.
>> Zebra

>--
>--
>Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
>Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
>Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford

wallace!

HELP! a NIS or fbackup problem

Post by Sam Alexande » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Is this ip and hostname correct in the /etc/hosts map?

Also, do a ypwhich and see which machine the HP NIS server is binded to.
It's possible that the NIS Server is bound to one of it's slaves.  Check the
slave and make sure ypserv is running.  Ypserv on this machine could be
taking forever to respond.  To check, go to another workstation and use
ypset to bind this workstation to the machine ypserv is running on.  See if
it's slow to respond to NIS queries, too.

There's a lot that could be wrong; maybe this will help.
Sam

> I installed NIS server in a HP9000/745 with HP-UX10.20 system. It seems
> work normally for several months until last week. When the ypbind is up,
> the fbackup command will hang; kill the ypbind and kill the fbackup,
> then I can complete the fbackup.

> I installed the latest patches PHKL_16750 & PHNE_17098, but I feel not
> able to benefit from them.

> Advice please. I've worked for a week on it.

> Thanks in advance.
> Zebra

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. xdm delays 1 minute at start

3. Duping an fbackup (dump for HP-UX) tape: HELP!

4. Event Handler Routine

5. HELP: remote backup with 'fbackup' on HP

6. firewall question

7. fbackup across nfs mounts,help!!

8. SO51 Installation fails!! HELP!!

9. Help, NIS+ Server, NIS Client

10. Help: NIS+ password information update failed while talking to NIS+ passwd daemon

11. NIS+: Unable to authenticate NIS+ server - HELP!!

12. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

13. NIS & NIS+ Need help!