IRIX 6.5.3 - shell changes from IRIX 6.2?

IRIX 6.5.3 - shell changes from IRIX 6.2?

Post by jju.. » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I've got a network (Challenge L, Power Challenges, and Indigos)that
just switched over from IRIX 6.2 to IRIX 6.5.3m. We've got an
application that ran fine under IRIX 6.2, but barfs on IRIX 6.5.

When the program is invoked under 6.5, you get an error
message "$XDROOT - undefined variable". Digging a little deeper into
the user's personal .cshrc file, it sources /etc/sgi.cshrc - a sys
admin file that sets up an alias using XDROOT. XDROOT, by the way, is
set in /etc/cshrc.

I put a printenv before and after the "source /etc/sgi.cshrc" and
invoked the application under IRIX 6.5. Only the following environment
variables were defined before the source: $HOME, $PATH, $SHELL, $USER,
$LOGNAME, $REMOTEUSER, $REMOTEHOST, $TZ, $LANG, and $PWD. The after
case was never executed. Obviously the alias is going to fail because
XDROOT isn't set.

I've got the problem fixed so users can work again - removed the alias
from /etc/sgi.cshrc. I'd like to know what changed between 6.2 and 6.5,
however, that caused this problem. Unfortunately, I can't (easily) go
back to the 6.2 setup to see what was happening then (strict
configuration management, network load, and other issues I really don't
want to go in to).

Any body out there have any ideas?

Thanks,
Guppy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Walter Robers » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

:When the program is invoked under 6.5, you get an error
:message "$XDROOT - undefined variable". Digging a little deeper into
:the user's personal .cshrc file, it sources /etc/sgi.cshrc - a sys
:admin file that sets up an alias using XDROOT. XDROOT, by the way, is
:set in /etc/cshrc.

/etc/sgi.cshrc is not part of any distribution. The distributed
/etc/cshrc does not set XDROOT .

How exactly are you setting XDROOT ? Possibly with a 'set' instead of
'setenv' ? If so then XDROOT would not be exported to the environment.

:I put a printenv before and after the "source /etc/sgi.cshrc" and
:invoked the application under IRIX 6.5. Only the following environment
:variables were defined before the source: $HOME, $PATH, $SHELL, $USER,
:$LOGNAME, $REMOTEUSER, $REMOTEHOST, $TZ, $LANG, and $PWD. The after
:case was never executed. Obviously the alias is going to fail because
:XDROOT isn't set.

The after case was never executed? That suggests that /etc/sgi.cshrc
exitted for some reason. Try temporily replacing the "source /etc/sgi.cshrc"
with "csh -x /etc/sgi.cshrc" and see what the flow of commands is.

Post by jju.. » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> :When the program is invoked under 6.5, you get an error
> :message "$XDROOT - undefined variable". Digging a little deeper into
> :the user's personal .cshrc file, it sources /etc/sgi.cshrc - a sys
> :admin file that sets up an alias using XDROOT. XDROOT, by the way, is
> :set in /etc/cshrc.

> /etc/sgi.cshrc is not part of any distribution. The distributed
> /etc/cshrc does not set XDROOT .

Right - I should have been more clear. /etc/sgi.cshrc is created by sys
admins at this site. It's called "sgi" for historical purposes, but
doesn't have anything to do with the distribution from SGI.

The sys admins modify the distributed /etc/cshrc to include a number of
environment variables, including XDROOT, so all users have a common
starting point - useful for the development of our applications.

Quote:

> How exactly are you setting XDROOT ? Possibly with a 'set' instead of
> 'setenv' ? If so then XDROOT would not be exported to the environment.

Double checked this - XDROOT is defined using "setenv", as are all of
the environment variables in the modified /etc/cshrc.

Quote:

> :I put a printenv before and after the "source /etc/sgi.cshrc" and
> :invoked the application under IRIX 6.5. Only the following
environment
> :variables were defined before the source: $HOME, $PATH, $SHELL,
$USER,
> :$LOGNAME, $REMOTEUSER, $REMOTEHOST, $TZ, $LANG, and $PWD. The after
> :case was never executed. Obviously the alias is going to fail because
> :XDROOT isn't set.

> The after case was never executed? That suggests that /etc/sgi.cshrc
> exitted for some reason. Try temporily replacing

the "source /etc/sgi.cshrc"

Quote:> with "csh -x /etc/sgi.cshrc" and see what the flow of commands is.

Tried to execute with the suggested replacement, but got "fork failed"
messages. (I could execute it from the command line, but got the fork
message if I tried to source my personal .cshrc file and when I tried
to execute the application.)

Instead, copied /etc/sgi.cshrc to a local directory, added echo
statements before and after the problem alias, and sourced this
modified file from my personal .cshrc. Same results as before - I got
the before message but not the after message. Actual output was:

     UX: csh: SV=0: XDROOT - undefined variable
     UX: csh: SV=0: fill_log_dir - command not found
     Before XDESIGN alias
     Before XDESIGN alias
     UX: csh: SV=0: XDROOT - undefined variable
     UX: csh: SV=0: launch_scds - command not found

fill_log_dir is a C program. launch_scds is a script. Both are invoked
using the system command within the application - that is:

     sprintf( cmd, "rsh fill_log_dir" );
     system(cmd);

Hope this helps...
Guppy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Follow Up: Irix 6.2 Hangs On Console Login ("amd" on Irix 6.2)

I have done some more digging and I have discovered that this same problem
manifests itself even on machines local to the NIS server. What is
happening is that somehow the automount daemon "amd" is dying at about
the time "clogin -f" and "Xlogin" are being run. So, of course the login
hangs because a home directory cannot be found. "amd" *never* dies if I
login over the network using "rsh" or "telnet" so I have to imagine this a bug
in "clogin" or similar. Anyone have any ideas?

Is anyone else out there running "amd" on Irix 6.2?

Dimitri

2. Who invokes /etc/rc.i386 ?

3. Binary port Irix 6.2 to Irix 6.4

4. TMC8xxx SCSI Controller

5. Apache & IRIX 6.2 => Re: what happened to somaxconn in 6.2?

6. Text Substitution in Vi Editor.

7. Mounting Irix 5.3 cd on non-irix (linux) system?

8. ATI and X11?

9. NFS export to irix (think the problem is with irix)

10. IRIX 6.2 and Netscape...

11. Compiling OPIE under Irix 6.2

12. linking trouble on IRIX 6.2

13. less for IRIX 6.2