Help with backups - please

Post by Russell Saunder » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am on a Helpdesk and need to alter the backup on our Unix system.
Unfortunately, I don't know diddly squat about Unix systems.  I have an
AS400 background and my only involvement so far has been to change backup
tapes.

I know that the present backups are done through SAM which I think is some
kind of ' frontend '. I looked through loads of books in a computer store on
Unix but couldn't find anything on SAM. Can anyone help - please. Does
anyone know where I can get a manual ?

I need to set up incremental backups to run Tuesday - Friday mornings and a
full backup on a Saturday morning.  Can I use TAR or CPIO ( i saw these
terms in the books rather than know about them ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russell Saunders

Help with backups - please

Post by Tom Ballinge » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am on a Helpdesk and need to alter the backup on our Unix system.
> Unfortunately, I don't know diddly squat about Unix systems.  I have an
> AS400 background and my only involvement so far has been to change backup
> tapes.

> I know that the present backups are done through SAM which I think is some
> kind of ' frontend '. I looked through loads of books in a computer store on
> Unix but couldn't find anything on SAM. Can anyone help - please. Does
> anyone know where I can get a manual ?

> I need to set up incremental backups to run Tuesday - Friday mornings and a
> full backup on a Saturday morning.  Can I use TAR or CPIO ( i saw these
> terms in the books rather than know about them ).

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

> Russell Saunders

SAM (System Administration Module.. me thinks) is the system
administration tool in HP-UX (your operating system, HP's version of
UNIX).  SAM uses a command fbackup to perform backups from it.  It also
makes it easy to set up automated backup at regular intervals (places
the backup command in a cron file, cron is the scheduler in UNIX).  As
root, you should be able to type 'sam' from the command line, then
navigate to the automated backup/recovery area and schedule backup from
there.

I would suggest that you not get too bogged down with TAR and CPIO right
now.  You might want to look at the man pages for fbackup, dump and
cron.  dump can also run incremental and full backups (to do this with
TAR or CPIO you have to manage the file lists of what is to be backed
up), and cron will schedual the jobs.  If you are using logical volume
management (LVM) record all the LVM info and print it out.  This will be
necessary if you have to replace a disk.

Look for books on HP-UX System Administration, you should find help for
SAM there.  Do a search for "HP-UX" at www.amazon.com, many system admin
books there should be able to help with the details on SAM, LVM and
cron.

Good Luck.
Tom

Help with backups - please

Post by pe.. » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I am on a Helpdesk and need to alter the backup on our Unix system.
> Unfortunately, I don't know diddly squat about Unix systems.  I have an
> AS400 background and my only involvement so far has been to change backup
> tapes.
> I know that the present backups are done through SAM which I think is some
> kind of ' frontend '. I looked through loads of books in a computer store on
> Unix but couldn't find anything on SAM. Can anyone help - please. Does
> anyone know where I can get a manual ?
> I need to set up incremental backups to run Tuesday - Friday mornings and a
> full backup on a Saturday morning.  Can I use TAR or CPIO ( i saw these
> terms in the books rather than know about them ).

SAM is perfectly capable of setting up this kind of schedule.

The backup utility preffered by hp is called "fbackup", man
fbackup for details.

Quote:> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Russell Saunders

Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

Help with backups - please

Post by Stephen Bodn » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > I know that the present backups are done through SAM which I think is some
> > kind of ' frontend '. I looked through loads of books in a computer store on
> > Unix but couldn't find anything on SAM. Can anyone help - please. Does
> > anyone know where I can get a manual ?

Quote:> > Russell Saunders

SAM only exists on AIX

Stephen

Help with backups - please

Post by Tom Ballinge » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > > I know that the present backups are done through SAM which I think is some
> > > kind of ' frontend '. I looked through loads of books in a computer store on
> > > Unix but couldn't find anything on SAM. Can anyone help - please. Does
> > > anyone know where I can get a manual ?

> > > Russell Saunders

> SAM only exists on AIX

> Stephen

Bzzz...         SAM=HP-UX
                SMIT=AIX

Help with backups - please

Post by Dave Frazie » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I haven't seen a book on SAM but there should be a 'how to use SAM' feature
as the very last choice from the main screen.  We recvd manuals when we
installed the system.  I'll send you the isbn number if you'd like.  You can
probably order it form there.  Look for an HP-UX book, that may have some
information.

> > > I know that the present backups are done through SAM which I think is
some
> > > kind of ' frontend '. I looked through loads of books in a computer
store on
> > > Unix but couldn't find anything on SAM. Can anyone help - please. Does
> > > anyone know where I can get a manual ?

> > > Russell Saunders

> SAM only exists on AIX

> Stephen

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. Netscape for Linux

4. S3 Virage in X

5. NFS please help me please please please sniff

6. solaris newsgroup list

7. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

8. ATI mach 64? ATI rage 128?

9. Cron script needed to make backups - help please

10. Backup - Help please!

11. Solstice Backup 4.2 help please

12. backup problem: can not reach 5GB on the 8mm tape, please help!

13. backup help needed please