NFS performace & Mount options

Post by Sudheer Kogan » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 12:32:05

Sorry, I forgot to add my e-mail address to the previous note.

the questions again are
1.  How can the buffer sizes (rsize, wsize) of the mounts affect the
        performance of the NFS?
2.  Can you plese tell me what values that are being used on your systems?
3.  If you configure those values yourself, how to configure them, are
        there any guidelines to follow ?
4.  Are there any other tools available other than NHFSstone, nfsstat(1)
        to analyze the NFS performance?
5.  I can see that the number of NFS calls cab be decresed dramatically by
        increasing these buffer sizes.  Are there any negative effects if
        the sizes are incresed?

thank you..

1. NFS perormance & Mount options

Hi,

  I have some more questions for the experiences system adminstrators out
there.

 I am trying to tune the pereformance of the NFS on our campus NeXT
computer network on ethernet.  I observed somethings I am not sure about.
The NFS performance is very poor at 8 kilobytes/sec when performing NFS
writes.  I thought the problem might be with the mounts being performed.
The options for the rsize and wsize of the mounts now are just 1K. I read
somewhere that these values can be a maximum of 8k. The manual pages of
mount mentioned that changing these values can affect the performance in
noticable ways.

Now I have some questions.

1.  How can the buffer sizes (rsize, wsize) of the mounts affect the
        performance of the NFS?
2.  Can you plese tell me what values that are being used on your systems?
3.  If you configure those values yourself, how to configure them, are
        there any guidelines to follow ?
4.  Are there any other tools available other than NHFSstone, nfsstat(1)
        to analyze the NFS performance?
5.  I can see that the number of NFS calls cab be decresed dramatically by
        increasing these buffer sizes.  Are there any negative effects if
        the sizes are incresed?

thanks.
Sudheer Koganti

2. Intel 82573L Gigabit driver on linux

3. SUMMARY: NFS mounting /var/spool/mail && file locking

4. How to remap a single key to a CTRL'ed key in X ?

5. "state of the art" NFS mount options ...?

6. Sharing a Swapfile/partition b/w OS/2 & Linux

7. 'bg' option in nfs mounting

8. HDLC serial driver

9. mount NFS hangs until timeout, despite bg option

10. NFS client with sync mount option to sloooow

11. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

12. Q: AIX 4.2.1 NFS default mount options?

13. NIM: configuration of NFS mount option