Automatic Account Creation

Post by OZAIR NOO » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi all:-

   I was wondering if there is a software or a freeware which can create
accounts from a ASCII file  containing  Name ans SS# in UNIX.  Any help
will be appriciated.

Thanks
Ozair

Post by Chad Wolfsheim » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Hi all:-

:    I was wondering if there is a software or a freeware which can create
: accounts from a ASCII file  containing  Name ans SS# in UNIX.  Any help
: will be appriciated.
You could write a quick shell script or C program to do that for you.
However, note that social security numbers as passwords are insecure (too
easy to find out and guess).

Look at the code for adduser (useradd, sometimes) and adapt it to your needs.

--
  //===========================Chad Wolfsheimer============================\\
 //============================Brown University=============================\\

Post by Falk Willber » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Hi all:-

>   I was wondering if there is a software or a freeware which can create
>accounts from a ASCII file  containing  Name ans SS# in UNIX.  Any help
>will be appriciated.

I am sure that thousands of SA's have written such scripts and some will have
been put into public domain. Check archie and the GNU-archives.
Quote:>Thanks
>Ozair

Not at all,
Falk

--
Consult42                   Consulting ( Unix and Network )
Falk Willberg                             I. Parallelstr. 11

1. Automatic account creation

I'm looking for a solution ... it should be something rather simple
but its slipping by me at the moment.

I have an online system that I am hooking into a Linux Box.
I have accounts already on the online system.
I want people to be able to log into the Linux box and have new accounts
created automatically.

How can I do this? I made a script ... but obviously, certain things can't
be done with a newuser login name and script (like permission to
alter the passwd file.  I tried setting chmod +s to the script but it
still didn't seem to let me do what I wanted.

Is there some easier way to go about doing this?

--
+--[From the Brilliant Mind of David Zarnitzky, Scary Huh?]--+
|                   Phil Gramm for President                 |

2. *** Help symbolic links problems ***

3. Automatic Driver Creation

4. IP Connection to own IP-Address goes over the network

5. Automatic creation of Users ?

6. Announcing the Exponential Password Suite (EPS)

7. automatic creation of /dev

8. full networking for console user, limited networking for remotely logged in user

9. automatic mail alias creation

10. automatic creation of .profile

11. automatic x-permission on creation: how?

12. Automate Account Creation

13. user account creation date