Soft/Hard mounts

Post by Christian Vei » Thu, 07 Jul 1994 17:47:17

On our network of mostly SunOS 4.1.1-4.1.3 machines some of the NFS
servers have lately become  a little flaky (a disk crash here, a
network problem there, ...).  Software packages are usually located
on two or three machines, from which the automounter on the local
machine randomly picks one.  The annoying part is that once a server
of a client machine goes down, it takes the client with it ("NFS server
xy not responding"), although the client could happily continue using
another server.
Is there a way to avoid that situation? I was thinking of exporting
all that stuff read-only and using soft mounts. Will that cause the
automounter to produce an error message and to drop the connection?
What else can I do? What about that alternative automounter amd?
Is it smarter than Sun's?

chr

Siemens AG, Munich, Germany  |             +49-89-636-44519

Soft/Hard mounts

Post by Michael Vila » Thu, 07 Jul 1994 23:48:00

You aren't the only automounter site with this problem.
As far as I know, automounter can't "fail over" to another
system when the system mounted goes down.  I've had to
login as root, umount that mount point, and kill the
automount process, and restart it.  It's not any better
on Solaris 5.3 either, so I think the only thing you can
do is use some mount options like BG,SOFT in the /etc/
auto.master file.

Good luck,

/MeV/

--

"His code never ran fast enough"
"He thought my pocket protector was *"

Soft/Hard mounts

Post by Robert Montj » Fri, 08 Jul 1994 02:10:48

>You aren't the only automounter site with this problem.
>As far as I know, automounter can't "fail over" to another
>system when the system mounted goes down.  I've had to
>login as root, umount that mount point, and kill the
>automount process, and restart it.  It's not any better
>on Solaris 5.3 either, so I think the only thing you can
>do is use some mount options like BG,SOFT in the /etc/
>auto.master file.

>Good luck,

If you value your data do not mount anything soft.. All
home directories should be mounted hard. All application
directories should really be mounted hard.

If your server gets busy and is unable to service a request
on a soft mounted filesystem and the system goes to
page in/out part of this executable this executable will crash.
Sometimes this maybe ok.

Just may 100 yen...

--
Rob Montjoy                  - Computer Engineer/Systems Administrator
University of Cincinnati     - Electrical and Computer Engineering

--  To Save the Earth. The Humans must die.

1. Soft mount VS hard mount (NFS)

Hi all,

   Does any body have any idea what are the advantages and
drawbacks of using a soft mount as compared to hard mount ?
I read some articles that say that soft mount may cause
data incosistency. Can anyone give me an example of a case
that would lead to data inconsistency ?

Thanx for any help in advance ...

2. resolving IRQ conflict

3. Hard Mount /Soft Mount..Pls

4. How do you set up process accounting...

5. Soft Mount vs. Hard Mount

6. Top 10 posters

7. NFS: soft vs hard mounts

8. Questions about AUIS and LyX

9. nfs mount: soft or hard?

10. can't mount hard second hard drive

11. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

12. About Hard Link/soft link

13. Hard and soft links