Printer Issues .. Urgent !

Post by Gagan Gula » Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:03:38

Hello

I am new to working on Unix. I am facing the following issues :

1. I know there's a networked server say server1 which has a printer
attached to it.How can I get its IP addr sitting on my Unix server ?

2. In case it is a Windows NT m/c ( which i guess it is ) Can i
connect to it . Do i need to use Samba . Samba is still not installed
on my Server.

3. Incase i dont require Samba , how do I use that printer on that
server ? I mean how to install it ??

Would appreciate any help.
Thanx in advance

Gagan

Printer Issues .. Urgent !

Post by Chuck Dillo » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:21:37

> Hello

> I am new to working on Unix. I am facing the following issues :

> 1. I know there's a networked server say server1 which has a printer
> attached to it.How can I get its IP addr sitting on my Unix server ?

If your system knows it by the name 'server1' then you can try:
        ping -s server1 (see manpage since args vary)
        ypcat -k hosts | grep server1
        grep server1 /etc/hosts

If ping says it's an unknown host then you have to go to a system that
knows the host.

Quote:

> 2. In case it is a Windows NT m/c ( which i guess it is ) Can i
> connect to it . Do i need to use Samba . Samba is still not installed
> on my Server.

 > 3. Incase i dont require Samba , how do I use that printer on that
 > server ? I mean how to install it ??

You can enable TCP/IP printing on the/an NT box, the details of which
are OT here.  Once you do that you can direct print jobs to it like any
other *NIX based remote printer.

Exactly how you set up a remote printer depends on your *NIX OS.  Look
for the manpages for 'printcap' or 'lpadmin'.

-- ced

Quote:

--
Chuck Dillon