Computers for students, by students.

Post by Kevin Kad » Wed, 07 Oct 1992 08:35:18

We (The association for Computing Machinery, IIT chapter) are working to get
a computer for student use, to provide the students and student organizations
with a Bulletin Board System for announcements, discussion, and the like.

        One of the requests the Finance Board (the student "leaders" who make
financial decisions) has made before they will consider approval is that we
provide them with information from:

        "... other universities or groups outside of IIT who could advocate
the additon of such a system, or ideally, have made such an addtion themselves."

--
           Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

                         My Employer Disagrees.

Post by Kevin Kad » Thu, 08 Oct 1992 08:09:07

        We (The association for Computing Machinery, IIT chapter) are
working to obtain a computer for student use, which would be purchased by
the Student Leadership Committee, which administers the Student Activities
fund.

        One of the requests the Finance Board (the student leaders who make
financial decisions) has made is that before they will consider approval we
must provide them with information from:

"... other universities or groups outside of IIT who could advocate the
addition of such a system, or ideally, have made such an addtion themselves."

     Basically, what I really need is letters (A short FAX would be great)
from other people who have student run systems, detailing how they were
arranged, who operates them, and how their students benefit.

                                        Kevin Kadow
                                        Chairman ACM/IIT

VOICE: (312) 567-3427                   FAX: (312) 567-8882

(P.S. Below is some extra background information on what we are planning
and on justifications. Any E-mailed suggestions would be appreciated.)

        The machine (a 486/33), which will be accessible through the many
terminals around campus and via the current dial-up lines, would provide
the students and student organizations with a Bulletin Board System (BBS)
for announcements, discussion, and the like. This system will run under
UNIX, and the message sections will be under usenet news.

        Other services will include meeting notices, and user-to-user chat,
as well as the usual internet services and shareware files which can be
copied by downloading with X/Y/Z-modem, Kermit,and FTP.

It has been suggested that we use or add onto the current computers, but
this approach has several drawbacks:

    Currently the only machines that all students can access are an
overburdened VAX cluster running VMS/DCL and a NeXT running MACH. Both have
very little free disk space, memory, or CPU time.

The VAX is used for a large amount of coursework and for research, does NOT
offer a usenet news reader, and can become horrendously slow at times
(especially around finals week).

The second system,a NeXT station which is open to all students, often has
as many as 8 MUD's (multi-user games) running, crashes very often (3-5
times per week) and is used for some research. This offers a very limited
news reader, and can be very slow. When a user is on the console (graphical
interface) everything grinds to a halt.

        The NeXT  News reader, gets the news from a machine on campus which
is open *ONLY* to research and students for the duration of certain
courses, and which has so little free space that news expires in ONE DAY.

--
    Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

                         My Employer Disagrees.

1. OpenLinux Standard: student to student

Hi
I'm looking for Caldera's Open Linux standard. I tried to buy this
product in Switzerland, but it's much more expensive than in the U.S..
Caldera corp. has written you get this product for about 190$. Do you
know where I get this product for this prize and if not possible can you
organize it for me? Do you know when it's possible to get products
directly from the distribution?
--

    SNOWBOARDING
    Riding the hills and feeling the freedom

2. Installation on a Sony PC

3. school network -- view what students do on their computers

4. S74amd vs S74autofs

5. Help a computer student

6. Printing, input filter with lpr

7. Setting up 30+ Linux workstations as student computer laboratory

8. Compiling APUE source code on Linux

9. Help a computer student

10. Looking for Linux CDs --- poor college student

11. Student having a problem booting Linux Red Hat 7.0 Please Help

12. FS:Solaris student guides

13. Help! HS student on CD-ROM Linux installation