Command which root typed is recorded?

Post by Arum Ha » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello

This can be a stupid question but I still want to know.
If I login as a root or do su, thus all the commands I typed in
are recorded in somewhere? It can be convenient in case
something goes wrong and I can trace what I did and it can
be much easier to fix that problem.

THanks

Arum Han
Graduate Research Assistant
System Administrator for CMSM
Center for Microelectronic Sensors and MEMS(CMSM)
University of Cincinnati

Address : 688 Riddle Rd. #400c
          Cincinnati Ohio 45220
          USA
Phone   : (513)556-4795 (Office)
          (513)872-0710 (Home)
------------------------------ ------------------

Command which root typed is recorded?

Post by sriin.. » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

If you run the "script" command, it can record "all" the output to a
specified file. e.g.

# script /tmp/input1

will record all stdin/stdout and stderr to /tmp/input1 until you do ^d
or type exit. Otherwise, you could use something like sudo.

Kevin.

>Hello
>This can be a stupid question but I still want to know.
>If I login as a root or do su, thus all the commands I typed in
>are recorded in somewhere? It can be convenient in case
>something goes wrong and I can trace what I did and it can
>be much easier to fix that problem.
>THanks
>--
>Arum Han
>Graduate Research Assistant
>System Administrator for CMSM
>Center for Microelectronic Sensors and MEMS(CMSM)
>University of Cincinnati

>Address : 688 Riddle Rd. #400c
>          Cincinnati Ohio 45220
>          USA
>Phone   : (513)556-4795 (Office)
>          (513)872-0710 (Home)
>------------------------------ ------------------

Command which root typed is recorded?

Post by Michel Mo » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

If you use kornshell (ksh) the shell write all commands to the file
.sh_history in the homedir of root.
This is an ascii file.

Regards,
Michel Mol

>Hello

>This can be a stupid question but I still want to know.
>If I login as a root or do su, thus all the commands I typed in
>are recorded in somewhere? It can be convenient in case
>something goes wrong and I can trace what I did and it can
>be much easier to fix that problem.

>THanks

>--
>Arum Han
>Graduate Research Assistant
>System Administrator for CMSM
>Center for Microelectronic Sensors and MEMS(CMSM)
>University of Cincinnati

>Address : 688 Riddle Rd. #400c
>          Cincinnati Ohio 45220
>          USA
>Phone   : (513)556-4795 (Office)
>          (513)872-0710 (Home)
>------------------------------ ------------------

1. Record all commands users typed when login?

Hello..
    In Solaris 2.4, I heard people said we can start one function
    to record all commands from users when login.

    Anyone know what is this function or just one command?
    Please tell me, Thanks very much.

--

_________Jiing-Chau Shieh _________________________________________NCU_MIS__

 ...Xfish.../___)_<<<__   ___/ \\   URL: http://www.mgt.ncu.edu.tw/~dino/
___________________\\\  ....................................................

2. Intel 10bT/PCI with 82556 chip

3. Fixed length records containing 2 different records types with fixed field widths

4. Reminder: kernel credit

5. Command for showing command time records

6. fatal mount-problem

7. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

8. LS Command

9. Can a script output a command to the Command line as though typed

10. How do I record it when I am fingered by someone???

11. Reading a directory and knowing which type of file am I reading

12. How can I record what I type and result in a file under Unix?

13. DNS MAILB Query type and MB records