Can I limit phys mem of process in SunOS 4.1.1?

Can I limit phys mem of process in SunOS 4.1.1?

Post by Spencer Gree » Tue, 21 Apr 1992 05:28:40

Occasionally I archive large directories to tape, using tar, during the day.
The main problem this poses is that tar apparently hogs quite a bit of
memory.  If I leave it for a minute or so all of my windows get swapped out
and interactive response goes to the dogs.

I have tried running the tar process at a higher nice value, but of course
this doesn't help, because it's not a cpu usage issue but a memory problem.
What I would like to do is limit the tar process to a small amount of
physical memory.  It is ok if tar performance suffers as long as my
interactive response is preserved.

Any hints?

thanks in advance,
--
- Spencer Greene                                             +1 408 727 5445 -

- Santa Clara, California USA           {mips,ub-gate,bdcsys}!c2tech!sgreene -
- "But we can't do that - think of what a Pandora's bag of worms we'd open!" -