MOTD for group base ?

Post by Trung Nguyen Business Fa » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
Is there a MOTD system (message of the day) base on group ? ie.
different group should get different motd.
Thnks,
Trung

MOTD for group base ?

Post by Geoff Sho » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Is there a MOTD system (message of the day) base on group ? ie.
: different group should get different motd.

A quick base-level way of doing it would be to add a section to
/etc/profile which cats an extra file (exact syntax may depend on
system):

groupmotd='/etc/motd.'`groups`
if [ -r $groupmotd ]
then
        more $groupmotd
else
        more /etc/motd.default
fi

(or the csh equivalent in /etc/csh.cshrc)  You might also look at
the news program.

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

1. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

Hi

First let me describe what I would like to set up to clarify things:

Scenario:

I would like to set up 3 groups, lets call them A, B, C. Users from A should
have access files created by users in B or C. Users in B or C cannot access
files created by users in A. Also users in B or C should not have access to
each others files.

How would I set up Umask to handle this? I've tried to create a primary
group for all and secondary groups to reflect the permissions I'm after, but
to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Scanning Solution

3. grouping a group to a group?

4. Att Worldnet connection

5. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

6. 2.2-SNAP to 4.0-March.2000 Upgrade? Is it possible

7. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

8. finding and deleting characters in VI editor

9. /etc/group groups inside of groups?

10. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

11. Tokyo based Linux Users Group

12. SHAREWARE: Shared Calendars: Web-Based Group Scheduling

13. Process base priority assignment by groups