Managing Internet on System - help

Post by Randy Carpent » Tue, 29 Oct 1991 23:22:22

>I second this call for info. I'm in a similar position, except that I'm
>not getting paid for it (i.e., I'm a grad student and I was out of the
>country when this choice assignment was handed out...).

>I have the yellow N.S.S. UNIX admin book, but not the Hunter book. Can
>anyone out there comment on the merits of that tome? Is is
>better/worse/a useful addition to/superfluous when one owns the N.S.S.
>book?

>Thanks!

N.S.S. seems to be more complete and more detailed that H&H; however,
H&H has a unique feature throughout the book called "Manager's Corner",
which deals with the managment of UNIX systems/users *and* how-to-deal-with
novice (mainframe?:) UNIX managers.  H&H is the only reference I am
aware of that deals with this human-factor issue.

Georgia State University  (404) 651-2648     chop!
Wells Computer Center                              /`    /`    /`

Managing Internet on System - help

Post by David Lun » Tue, 29 Oct 1991 16:28:11

I have recently become system administrator of a unix system that is the
campus main link to Internet.  I am relatively new to Unix and to Internet
although not new to computers and data communications.  The Sun Manuals
(4.1.1), Nemeth, Snyder & Seebass "Unix System Aministration Handbook", and
Hunter & Hunter "Unix Systems Advanced Administration and Management
Handbook" have been very helpful.  I have not, however, found much to help
me with the on-going management of our connection to Internet.

I need help in understanding proper administration of mail, newsgroups,
irc, ftp (in/out), security and other issues directly resulting from
connection to a network not under our direct control.

These areas were administered by students (by default) until I was named to
this newly created position.  The students (and their expertise) have
departed.  I would appreciate pointers to appropriate materials and/or
contact with someone willing to do some mentoring.

Thanks in advance

David Lundy
Unix Lab Director
University of the Pacific

Post by Ross Levins » Tue, 29 Oct 1991 16:57:11

I second this call for info. I'm in a similar position, except that I'm
not getting paid for it (i.e., I'm a grad student and I was out of the
country when this choice assignment was handed out...).

I have the yellow N.S.S. UNIX admin book, but not the Hunter book. Can
anyone out there comment on the merits of that tome? Is is
better/worse/a useful addition to/superfluous when one owns the N.S.S.
book?

Thanks!

                                Ross

1. expert systems for managing distributed systems

Hey,

I'm writing my master's thesis on using an expert system to help
manage distributed systems. I am focusing on extensibility and the
benefit to inexperienced sysadmins.

Anyone heard about anyone doing something like this. I have found
vague secondary-source references to network management, but nothing
concrete.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--

  <\?/>  Emergency Holographic System Manager   (504) 286-7458
  _/ \_  University of New Orleans              www.cs.uno.edu/~dstocker

2. asynchronous programming

3. Well I managed to connect to the internet!

4. Redhat7-1 on 2nd physical drive & SystemCommander 2000

5. How to manage automatic updates of remote systems?

6. admin AIX to admin Solaris

7. How many Linux systems can an average administrator manage?

8. apacher 2.0.43 and mod_ssl

9. Font managing system for Linux

10. CVS and other sourcecode control systems: managing renamed files

11. managing passwd on two systems

12. : Learn To Manage Linux File System from Industry Experts

13. Number of sysadmins to number of systems managed