Information requested on Unix management tools

Information requested on Unix management tools

Post by Mark D. Wo » Thu, 27 Aug 1992 21:50:37

I would like pointers to papers describing Unix management tools, for
example, those using SNMP (or CMOT).  (Or even more experimental
systems).  If kind souls could e-mail to me references, it would be
most appreciated.

Cornell University / Ithaca, NY 14853                 (607) 255-1149

Post by James Brune » Fri, 28 Aug 1992 10:08:36

|> I would like pointers to papers describing Unix management tools, for
|> example, those using SNMP (or CMOT).  (Or even more experimental
|> systems).  If kind souls could e-mail to me references, it would be
|> most appreciated.
|>

|> --

|> Cornell University / Ithaca, NY 14853                 (607) 255-1149

I would also be interested in hearing what people are using.  What are
the names of some of the canned packages that your using and what its
functionality is.  If the original poster has received any responses
please send me copies of them.

Thanks.

                            *

 Prime Computer, Renton, WA |    Phone: (206) 251-0879
                            *

Post by R. P. C. Rodgers, M. » Sat, 29 Aug 1992 11:39:52

>|> I would like pointers to papers describing Unix management tools, for
>I would also be interested in hearing what people are using.  What are
>the names of some of the canned packages that your using and what its
>functionality is.  If the original poster has received any responses
>please send me copies of them.

You might want to investigate the System Manager's Toolkit (SMT)

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers
--
R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-8910
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers

Information requested on Unix management tools

Post by Shawn Mari » Wed, 02 Sep 1992 04:08:53

Quote:

>I would like pointers to papers describing Unix management tools, for
>example, those using SNMP (or CMOT).  (Or even more experimental
>systems).

DEC FullSail - GUI Driven Distributed System Management for ULTRIX

CONTACT

Salley Anderson, (206) 865-8917

HIGHLIGHTS

o  Cut UNIX system management costs

o  Easily monitor for incipient overloads and other error situations

o  Graphical user interfaces make DEC FullSail easy and fun to use

o  Orderable now for shipment in September 1992

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

DEC FullSail is an integrated, off-the-shelf, GUI-driven, system management
package for ULTRIX that lets you manage your computing resources more
effectively with less effort.  It is ideal for distributed systems of a few
to one hundred nodes.  DEC FullSail simplifies day-to-day tasks with
increased capabilities for managing users, file systems, and monitoring
distributed UNIX system performance.

DEC FullSail extends and complements our existing storage and system
administration products to reduce the cost of operations and protect
critical customer information.  These products include: DEC Network Save and
Restore (DECnsr) for network backups of the heterogeneous environment,
StorageServer 100 to provide high capacity local and network storage, ULTRIX
Disk Shadowing to protect critical data, and the DECmcc family of network
administration products.

DEC FullSail consists of four components including the Navigator, Account
Manager, File-System Manager, and Performance Manager. An easy-to-learn
Motif-based graphical user interface makes it easy to access DEC FullSail
from any workstation or X-terminal on the network.

With DEC FullSail, system managers can make changes to all systems without
regard to the current availability of the managed systems.  The DEC FullSail
Delegation Service stores change requests in a centralized database, and
distributes them to the managed systems instantly if available or in the
background if certain nodes are unreachable or busy.

Navigator -- The Central Control Point

The Navigator is the front-end to the other components, providing consistent
access mechanisms.   It lets you divide your systems into different
groupings or "management sets" according to your own criteria. You might,
for example, group systems by functional area, system type, or by location.
This lets you manage your environment in a way that best meets your
requirements. Through its security mechanisms, Navigator lets you control
who has access to the different management groupings and applications.

Account Manager -- Easily Handles User Accounts

The Account Manager makes it easy to add, modify, delete, and review user
accounts and keep account information synchronized across a set of
distributed systems.  It manages such things as a user's disk quota, login
shell, home directory, or group membership. If you want to add a new account
to a group of machines and one system is down, the Account Manager updates
the database immediately and then automatically updates the other system
when it comes back online. It is capable of executing custom routines when
adding a user, and has batch capabilities if you need to add a large number
of users at the same time. It supports the use of NFS mounted home
directories, and accommodates environments using a local password file, the
Network Information Service, or Hesiod.

File-System Manager -- Simplifies Configuring and Managing File Systems

The File-System Manager lets you easily configure and monitor file system
mount points and add new file systems into your computing environment. It
becomes fast and easy to make a new disk NFS-accessible to hundreds of
users.  And it lets you monitor every file system on the network thus
locating potential space problems. Through a monitor display, you can
quickly see what file systems have the most or least capacity available.

Performance Manager -- Easy Monitoring of System Activity

The Performance Manager can display the activity on CPUs and storage devices
for a continuous real-time picture of performance in your computing
environment. It can monitor and display load average, swapping rate, free
memory, memory-in-use, disk throughput rates, buffer cache utilization, NFS
statistics and error rates and many other items. It shows you where
resources may need to be modified to increase availability and performance.
Data may be graphically monitored in realtime or archived for later
analysis.  When archiving data you can select the time interval and the
maximum size of the archive.   The Performance Manager archives data in
popular spreadsheet formats for use by industry-standard spreadsheets, and
statistical analysis and 4GL tools, to display and analyze the data for MIS
budgeting.

Both the Performance Manager and the File-System Manager let you set
thresholds on items of interest and be notified when they are crossed.

SUPPORT SERVICES

Standard Software Services will be available for DEC FullSail, including
Layered Product Services (LPS) with appropriate system-service contracts,
and Media and Documentation Distribution Services (MDDS).  These services
include: Telephone assistance, right-to-use new versions, critical on-site
software support, Digital software information network, software media and
documentation updates.

Although customers can install DEC FullSail themselves, installation
services are available.

SPECIFICATIONS

Hardware

There are no hardware limitations.

Software

o  The database and graphical user interface support ULTRIX RISC V4.2 and
   higher
o  The client supports ULTRIX RISC and VAX V4.0 and higher
o  ULTRIX SQL V2.0 must be installed on the same machine as the database

--

Digital Equipment Corporation                   ...!decwrl!rust.enet!marier
DECwest Engineering/Seattle                     (206) 865-8886

1. System Management Tools Info Request

I am looking for a product that can automate the management of our
networked HP 9000/UX platforms.  The product should be able to monitor
resources for all the platforms including but not limited to CPU
performance, DASD performance, Security, Database performance (Sybase,
Oracle), User Administration, Alarms, Job scheduling, etc., etc.

I would like your suggestions and recommendations.  Any first hand info
on the following products will be greatly appreciated:

        CA Unicenter
        HP Operations Center
        BMC Patrol
        Compuware ECOtools
        Legent XPE, Prevail/XP

Thank you,
Sashi Menon (713) 877-6777

2. Help with RedHat 6.1 on Alpha Multia please

3. Request Information on *roff typesetting tools

4. linker (ld) and executable sizes

5. Detailed information on Unix memory management?

6. Virus removal programs for linux

7. information for unix system management

8. Kernel trap instaling Free Openserver 5

9. Request for info on forms/paper management on UNIX systems.

10. UNIX Project Management tools ?

11. Project Management Tool on Unix

12. Unix Performance Management tools

13. Information Request on Unix Clone Coherent