/opt directory

Post by Gary Barnet » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

OK, you SYS5.4 fans and, I'm told, HP-UX 10.0. Help me settle a
very hot topic.

What the heck is /opt _REALLY_ for?
My understanding is that it is for purchased third party software
that was put together using the packaging facility under SYS5.4.
I suppose that other non-packaged software could be put there however.
What about database software, /opt/oracle?

Does the old standy of /usr/local now take a backseat? Is ite,now /opt/
(gnu for the Free Software foundation)

There have been more than a few heated discussion about the use of
the directory and so called "company standards". Some seem to think
that they know exactly what it's purpose is for but its not
clear to me. Is there an "official" explanation for its existance or
is it mostly subjective?

Any input appreciated.

Gary Barnette

/opt directory

Post by J.A. Pete » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

...<snip>...

Quote:> What the heck is /opt _REALLY_ for?

/opt is merely a filesystem. By default most applications which use
pkgadd have /opt as a basedir. Reference "man -s 1M pkgadd" and
"man -s 4 admin". You can change the default behavior by editng the
file /var/sadm/install/admin/default changing "basedir=default" to
"basedir=ask".

Quote:> What about database software, /opt/oracle?

You could place oracle in any filesystem you choose. Oracle likes to
refer to its home directory as ~oracle given that it creates an oracle
account.

Quote:>Is ite,now /opt/ (gnu for the Free Software foundation)

GNU packages can be installed anywhere your heart desires.

Quote:> There have been more than a few heated discussion about the use of
> the directory and so called "company standards". Some seem to think
> that they know exactly what it's purpose is for but its not
> clear to me. Is there an "official" explanation for its existance or
> is it mostly subjective?

I would not let company standards get in the way the of KISS standard,
Keep It Simple Stupid. Hal Stern's O'Reilly NFS book does a good job
explaining the set up of "switch panels" and other filesystem structures.

Regards,

/opt directory

Post by Rick Venab » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 10:56:55

On 29 Mar 1995 17:21:14 GMT Gary Barnette pontificated:

Quote:> OK, you SYS5.4 fans and, I'm told, HP-UX 10.0. Help me settle a
> very hot topic.
> What the heck is /opt _REALLY_ for?
> My understanding is that it is for purchased third party software
> that was put together using the packaging facility under SYS5.4.
> I suppose that other non-packaged software could be put there however.
> What about database software, /opt/oracle?

Oh, fine. We've been using it locally on HP-UX 9 and SGI systems for
OPTical disk drives or OPTical jukeboxes.  Note to OSF, Unix Inc, HP,
SG, etc.; /opt is ALREADY in use, pick another name.  How  about /sfw,
or /com, or maybe just /$$$.

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|

1. "ld", /opt directory in Solaris

New to Solaris and find many things are different.

Is "ld" another missing thing in Solaris?  I cannot find it in both
SC3.0 directory and gcc directory.

How should I use /opt directory.  I know it's for third party packages.
Is it designed to replace /usr/local directory in traditional Unix
files system?  Traditionally, many programs got put into /usr/local/bin,
and I only need
set path = (/usr/local/bin $path)
But with using /opt, I need to any each packages PACKAGES/bin directory
in the path.

Thanks.  YJ

2. Access samba server from NT

3. /opt directory

4. Linuxsdoom and keyboard :(

5. Utility of the /opt directory ?

6. Linux forgets I have a keyboard!

7. What's the merit of /opt directory tree ?

8. Which moron thought up the /opt directory?

9. Explanation of /opt directory

10. /opt directory full

11. how to move a package from /opt to /OPT?

12. /var/opt, /opt