Password generation

Post by Sherwood Botsfo » Sun, 04 Oct 1992 01:08:44

Some time back someone was asking for automated password
generation.  They wanted passwords that would be long
enough to not be guessed, easy to remember, but not in a
dictionary.

I have written such a generator. (In perl. (Of course))
You start it by feeding it several thousand words.  From
this it contructs a table of what letters are likely to
follow what.  It then spits out 8 letter sequences.  Most
of these sequences are pronouncable, and hence easy to
remember.

When fed /usr/dict/words as it's imput, it will generate
about 50 repeats/100000 words.  Using the Declaration of
Independence, the repeat rate is about 500/100000. Checking
longer runs confirms that the repeats are random.  Playing
some statistical games, this repeat rate corresponds to a
password population in the tens of billions, which is not
as big as all possible words, but is much larger than the
set of passwords people actually choose.

To avoid flamage, I won't post the script here.  Mail, and
I'll send it to you.

sherwood

Password generation

Post by Sherwood Botsfo » Sun, 04 Oct 1992 02:23:22

Oh, I forgot:  So you aren't asking for a pig in a poke,
this is typical stuff churned out by this password travesty
generator:

Samples:
fulycuru
mpenckne
abfateec
hoomomys
ertrarit
egasplak
yweaissw
efimaste
alelenib
lfoomery
llousspo
licoloni
oweptone
seruxeon
fapierou
tinddind
ondiloxh
indrmint
ebentaxo
riutycoi
memopsua
griousko
oycichar
leseedjo
trceaben
daittenn
vearmoua
malenint
ylicotor
erogigyw
dootcach
estelypu
cralabun
singlant
haroledp
letupand
ewdenqun
nglaratu
sineeuio
nangayar
omerount
itopemen
veatcabl
lerntolf
enosting
randaspo
ntonkath
enymmizy
lfindicu
ldydampi
erampsin
ttebusho
larigada
nearreea
ntronytr
emexthin
ityoumpr
iveladun
earusero
ngeerfal
innteran
adifffub
ininttef
iteercon
ilaleceu

1. Password generation?

I need some help.

I need a utility that, given a string on std input, will encode it into
the standard encryption for inclusion directly into the /etc/passwd file.
The application is a Web page which allows certain users to create
accounts via a Web page.

It'd be wonderful if it were something that could be run from a shell
script that would also give the option of having a randomly generated
password created, with the utility putting both the clear text and encoded
passwords into a shell script variable for the script's use.

If it's possible to create encoded passwords for inclusion into
/etc/passwd without programming (i.e. through shell commands only) please
let me know how.  This would all have to be done with the desired password
being passed in on standard in and all under the control of a script with
no user interaction.

Any ideas or pointers to utilities would be greatly appreciated.  I'm
running HP-UX on a 9000/715 with 9.03.

Thanks,

Wade Williams

Wade Williams                       "Any escape might help to smooth
Telecommunications Consultant       the unattractive truth, but the
State of Tennessee                  suburbs have no charms to soothe
(615) 741-8678                      the restless dreams of youth."

2. Everex EV811 QIC02 jumpers?

3. Automatic password Generation!

4. My Trip to MicroWarehouse

5. Password generation from command line

6. ATCA Blade and interrupts?

7. password generation and useradd/usermod ???

8. KDE ,mixing up destops a bit

9. Password Generation

10. Help: Auto password generation

11. Random password generation