Swap Space Allocation

Post by Franci » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:02:37

Hi,
   I would like to increase the swap space in my system.

   How do I do that without rebooting the system ?? Is this possible ??

   How then do I make it a permanent change, ie what file do I have to
update ?? Just in case it was shutdown and need to take on the new
setting.

   Thanks.

Regards,
Francis.

Swap Space Allocation

Post by Chris Newpor » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:05:39

> Hi,
>    I would like to increase the swap space in my system.

>    How do I do that without rebooting the system ?? Is this possible ??

>    How then do I make it a permanent change, ie what file do I have to
> update ?? Just in case it was shutdown and need to take on the new
> setting.

Make a swapfile, as per the Answerbooks which you should have installed
on your system from the Documenrtation CD.
If you have lost the CD you can view the information at
http://docs.sun.com/

WARNING - do not have more than one active swap area on the same
spindle.

Swap Space Allocation

Post by Mark S » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:07:27

you have to rewrite the partition table, and if it's not the last one with
some open space to grow, then you will loose info.  I think u do have to
reboot as well.

Quote:> Hi,
>    I would like to increase the swap space in my system.

>    How do I do that without rebooting the system ?? Is this possible ??

>    How then do I make it a permanent change, ie what file do I have to
> update ?? Just in case it was shutdown and need to take on the new
> setting.

>    Thanks.

> Regards,
> Francis.

Swap Space Allocation

Post by -- mouse - » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:05:00

Quote:> Hi,
>    I would like to increase the swap space in my system.

>    How do I do that without rebooting the system ?? Is this possible ??

>    How then do I make it a permanent change, ie what file do I have to
> update ?? Just in case it was shutdown and need to take on the new
> setting.

1. if you have a spare unallocated bit of disk, use format to mark it as
swap,
otherwise use mkfile to make a flat file (i.e. mkfile 500m /swapfile)

2. Tell the system about it:-  swap -a <swapfile>
i.e. swap -a /swapfile
or swap -a /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1

3.  Update /etc/vfstab, add a line:-

    /swapfile     -    -    swap    -    no    -
   or
    /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1    -    -    swap    -    no    -

Swap Space Allocation

Post by pe.. » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:58:26

Quote:> Hi,
>    I would like to increase the swap space in my system.

You did not mention what type of system, as the detaisl will vary.

Quote:>    How do I do that without rebooting the system ?? Is this possible ??

It's certenly possible. All you need is unused disk space.

If i would be running some flavor of BSD and have an
unused partition on /dev/sd3b i could use the command
'swapon /dev/sd3b'

to include this area in my current swap.

Quote:>    How then do I make it a permanent change, ie what file do I have to
> update ?? Just in case it was shutdown and need to take on the new
> setting.

in the bsd case i just add another "swap" line in /etc/fstab

Quote:>    Thanks.

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

Swap Space Allocation

Post by Mats Wichma » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:54:51

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:05:00 +0100, "-- mouse --"

:

:> Hi,
:>    I would like to increase the swap space in my system.
:>
[...]

This answers it completely, except for the note that using a swap
/file/ should be a temporary step to get you out of a bind until you
can allocate an unused partition to additional swap.  The overhead is,
umm, substantial.
Mats Wichmann

Swap Space Allocation

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 17:04:34

In linux - create a new partition and mark it as swap using fdisk

Run the "make swap" command (probably called mkswap)

Add the partition to /etc/fstab

Turn it on - I think the command is "swapon"

And Robert's your mother's brother...

I'll be doing that pretty soon - I'll need 1.5 Gb swap because I'm about
to upgrade my RAM...

   I would like to increase the swap space in my system.

   How do I do that without rebooting the system ?? Is this possible ??

   How then do I make it a permanent change, ie what file do I have to
update ?? Just in case it was shutdown and need to take on the new
setting.

   Thanks.

Regards,
Francis.

1. Swap space allocation ..

Can someone point me to a "rule of thumb" strategy by which one can decide
the size of the swap space that should be allocated for workstations
(with memory between 8-24 Mb)  and file/compute servers (with memory 64Mb and
above).

Rajan
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions.

UUCP:{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!rpartha

2. Where is mmv?

3. swap space allocation

4. Looking for a Linux/i386 "/lib/c2"

5. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

6. [2.5][1/14] smp_call_function_on_cpu - generic definitions

7. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

8. AIX rebooting itself

9. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

10. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

11. Linux HardDrive Space Reqs, Swap Space

12. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

13. Paging space size (NOT swap space size)