WANTED: Summary of allowing non-su mounting of disks

WANTED: Summary of allowing non-su mounting of disks

Post by kevin mcfadd » Tue, 09 Feb 1993 22:55:42

A while ago there was a discussion about allowing non superusers to
mount disks.  I am currently writing a GUI to allow our users
to control an Erasable Optical Drive.  We have software that
allows the drive to be mounted to the root machine, but then
we would like the mount point(/mnt) to be mounted to the user's
workstation.

I would appreciate it if someone who has saved the conclusions
could email them to me at:

Thanks,

kev

P.S.  Why does it seem that after every topic I think I have no need
for ends, all of a sudden I need to know it???????? :-(

WANTED: Summary of allowing non-su mounting of disks

Post by Diane at Allen-Bradley in Clevela » Tue, 09 Feb 1993 22:21:22

> A while ago there was a discussion about allowing non superusers to
> mount disks.  I am currently writing a GUI to allow our users
 - stuff deleted -

> I would appreciate it if someone who has saved the conclusions
> could email them to me at:

I'm new to this group, and new to sys admin too.  I would appreciate it if
someone could e-mail me this also.  I want to do this with a 3.5" drive on
a Sparcstation IPC.  Also - Can someone point me to the FAQ for this group?

I would like to add that I've completed reading everything my site has kept for
this group and don't find either of these things answered.

Thanks,
Di

1. Summary of non-su disk mounting WANTED

A while ago there was a discussion about non-root users mounting/unmounting
disks.  Back then it didn't seem necessary but all of a sudden it is.
We have an rewriteable optical hard drive which users can mount and
unmount from a specific machine, but they cannot mount it directly to
their own workstation from the EOD's host machine.

If anyone out there has a summary of this discussion, please email
it to me.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Solaris 2.6 device driver problem

3. non-su removable media mounting

4. smbfs problem

5. How to do a non-SU mount of /cdrom

6. RH newbie needs your help

7. BSD-newbie asks how to mount Floopies/CD's as non-SU

8. Problems with my isdn . Its to sloww

9. Limited su power for non-su personnel (revisited)

10. non-root disk (u)mount wanted

11. SUMMARY: How do YOU allow users to mount CD-Roms?

12. su: allow all users to su to a login with their own password

13. Allowing non-root user to mount fs.