Exabyte 230D Tape Library Problem w/Networker 5.2.1 (Solaris 2.6)

Exabyte 230D Tape Library Problem w/Networker 5.2.1 (Solaris 2.6)

Post by freed.. » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

   Hi,

   We just replaced one bad DLT-7000 drive in our Exabyte tape library
and now we are having problem communicating with it.  The front panel
of the tape library appears normal and functional for both drives and we
had rebooted the tape library afterward.
   The tape library is connected to the Sun E3500 server and we are
running Networker 5.2.1.Build.14 Turbo/10.  The OS is Solaris 2.6. We
restarted the NSR daemons and ran the "nsrjb -H" command.
   All checked ok !
   But we got "nsrjb: Jukebox error, Illegal Request, ASC 0x3b ASCQ
0x83" errors when we ran the "nsrjb -EI" command.  Any idea what
this means ??  We noticed that any time we tried to mount the tape via
the GUI, we will get read I/O error message and the Networker
automatically "disabled" the drive. Then we do "nsrjb -v" and found that
the tape is mounted and cannot be written to.  We found it very odd this
can happen and had to enable it again in the GUI.  We did reboot the
E3500 server as well but to no avail.

   We appreciate very much if anyone out there can help us on this
urgent issue.

   Thanks,

   Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by pe.. » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>    Hi,
>    We just replaced one bad DLT-7000 drive in our Exabyte tape library
> and now we are having problem communicating with it.  The front panel
> of the tape library appears normal and functional for both drives and we
> had rebooted the tape library afterward.
>    The tape library is connected to the Sun E3500 server and we are
> running Networker 5.2.1.Build.14 Turbo/10.  The OS is Solaris 2.6. We
> restarted the NSR daemons and ran the "nsrjb -H" command.
>    All checked ok !
>    But we got "nsrjb: Jukebox error, Illegal Request, ASC 0x3b ASCQ
> 0x83" errors when we ran the "nsrjb -EI" command.  Any idea what
> this means ??  We noticed that any time we tried to mount the tape via
> the GUI, we will get read I/O error message and the Networker
> automatically "disabled" the drive. Then we do "nsrjb -v" and found that
> the tape is mounted and cannot be written to.  We found it very odd this
> can happen and had to enable it again in the GUI.  We did reboot the
> E3500 server as well but to no avail.

Have you removed the internal scsi-terminator ?
As i read you, it's more then one DLT in the robot. If you
disconnect the "new" one's scsi-cable, can you excersize the
robot without problems ? (you should be able to "disable" one tapedrive
in networker.

My 2 cents ...

Quote:>    We appreciate very much if anyone out there can help us on this

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

Post by Cyrille Lefevr » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>    But we got "nsrjb: Jukebox error, Illegal Request, ASC 0x3b ASCQ
> 0x83" errors when we ran the "nsrjb -EI" command.  Any idea what

is your jukebox in maintenance (command) mode ? so it is accepting command
only from RS232 port.

is your jukebox accepting request from the SCSI port ? or the front panel ?
should be from SCSI port. check your manual to know how to switch between
the one to the other mode.

Cyrille.
--

Supprimer "%no-spam" et ".invalid" pour me repondre.
Remove "%no-spam" and ".invalid" to answer me back.

Exabyte 230D Tape Library Problem w/Networker 5.2.1 (Solaris 2.6)

Post by Mark Slick » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I have a Exabyte tape drive manufactured by Exabyte. It came with
the hardware compression off.  When I used it on other OS (like
Windows), it does not do hardware compression.  I sent email to
Exabyte support asked them what to do.  They told me that I had
to update the firmware.  They gave me a part nubmer and
transferred me to their sales department.  I paid them with my
credit card and purchased a firmware update tape.

After applying the tape, the tape drive still not doing hardware
compression.  I called their support back, they told me that
I need to purchase anotehr load-tape to update the firmware.
They claimed that my firmware was not matching the configuration
image.  However, I found out they were lying, since their
configuration image was never changed -- kept at version 0.
I asked to replace the tape that I already paid for for the
correct one -- the one I wanted from the first place.  Their
support/sales/managers are all saying "NO".  The reason? I
brought the wrong tape at the first place, even the tape part
nubmer was given wrong by them.

What a urgely company.  I will never buy anything from them.
You'd better watch out if you buy anything from Exabyte, you
could get screwed like I was treated!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Exabyte 230D Tape Library Problem w/Networker 5.2.1 (Solaris 2.6)

[...]

2. linux/gcc (f)printf does not function when X11 linked

3. Exabyte 230D DLT library

4. CC -xar and embedded archives

5. Networker 5.0 and Solaris 2.6

6. ISDN Routing problems afther ipppd connected

7. Need devices.scsi for cfgmgr (Exabyte 230D)

8. FTP slow ... samba fast ...

9. Problem creating shared library under Solaris 2.6

10. Problem Making Shared Object Library for Xpm on Solaris 2.6:

11. Exabyte 8500C, Solaris 2.6 and dd

12. library building problem on Solaris 2.6