Survey- Fault Tolerance & Duplicate Record Elimination

Survey- Fault Tolerance & Duplicate Record Elimination

Post by PQUIM » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Survey-
Record Entry Fault Tolerance and Duplicate Record Elimination

This survey is intended for developers and administrators of large
relational databases, particularly in a UNIX environment.

The German American Chamber of Commerce, the official trade promotion
organization for Germany is conducting this survey to help determine
market opportunities for software technology for ultra-fast, fault
tolerant data searches, based on a new indexing algorithm, developed in
Germany.

Respondents to this survey will receive a complimentary copy of the book
Germany - Your Business Partner.

Please provide your contact information:

Name-
Title-
Company/Organization-
Mailing Address-
City/State-
Zip-
Tel-
Fax-
E-Mail-

Question 1-
Please describe your system environment- (operating system, DB system,
etc.)

Question 2-
Approximately how many records are in your database?

Question 3-
Approximately how many users use this database?

Question 4-
Do you use any error/fault checking procedures during the record entry
process?

Question 4.1-
If yes to Question 4, could you please describe the procedures?

Question 5-
What measures do you take to manage/eliminate duplicate records?

Question 6-
What would you estimate the percentage of duplicate records in your
database to be?

Question 7-
Can you provide an estimate of the cost burden of duplicate records on
your database?

Question 8-
The following description is a summary of the capabilities and
characteristics of the software technology for which we are conducting
this study:
-enables ultra-fast and fault tolerant data entry and searches
-applicable to database access, text retrieval, duplicate searches,
process data control, etc.
-great for error-prone data input (e.g. OCR data)
-inexact queries yield correct results
-eliminates duplicates due to typos, pronunciation errors,
uppercase/lowercase transpositions, abbreviations, etc.
-server application, operates as a UNIX pipe
-open and independent from OS and DB systems, easily ported to other OSs.
-interface to any SQL or 4GL program
-easily bundled with RDBM system, operates via a trigger.

Would such a product be useful for your organization?

Question 9-
Would you like to receive further information?

Thank you for your time.  We will send you your copy of Germany- Your
Business Partner within the next two to three weeks.

Please e-mail your response to one of the following addresses:

or

1. Dual CUPs, share memory & near fault-tolerance

Hi,
   We are doing a research project about implement dual cpu near-fault-tolerance
. The situation is roughly described as following:

               _______  Line1
      X.25 ---|       |-------------HP9000/700 ----------|
              |  BOX  |------------|                     |
      RS232---|_______| Line2      | SHARE MEMORY        |------Disk Array
                                   |                     |
                                   |                     |
                                   ---HP9000/700 ---------

Sorry for the awkward drawing. Basically, we want to get data from X.25
and RS232, through the "BOX" to split the data souces to both two HP9000/700
board. (that means line 1 & 2 has idental data, and HP9000/700 is a board
with CPU, two HP9000/700 and one share mem all access to same VME bus).

The two HP9000/700 will be master/slave modle, althought both get datas,
only master HP9000/700 can write to Disk Array. If master HP9000/700 is crash
, the slave HP9000/700 will take over the action continue write data to
Disk Array. (before crash, both HP9000/700 are active). The two HP boards
can use their own local memory or use share memory.

What we need help is how to write a program using the share memory to
do the switch-over. (so far, two conditions need to switch over, line1 or
line 2 is disconnected, or, master HP9000/700 crash).

Our first idea about this program is a daemon keep on checking the
connection status of line1&2, and status  of master HP board, writting flag
to share memory, another daemon check this flag to determine whether
switch over or not.

We are looking for any source codes, hints, suggestions. No commercial
products please, our dspartment doesn't has the budget, we even make
the "BOX" by ourselves.

Please E-mail me directly, thanks in advance.

scott

2. hola

3. Dual CPUs, share memory & near fault-tolerance

4. -- Kernel compilation on v2.5.4 source breaks

5. cpio and tape backups

6. AIX malloc and fault tolerance - just the facts

7. route and routed

8. Fault tolerance with RAID

9. How do you setup network fault tolerance/failover

10. Fault tolerance for WWW servers

11. Fault tolerance and SCO...

12. NIC fault tolerance