Problem with SCOMail and softlinked mailboxes

Problem with SCOMail and softlinked mailboxes

Post by Roman Fiet » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

   On our SCO Open Server, the mail spool directory is mounted from a
   Sun Sparc onto /var/spool/mail.

   We have soft links for certain users to /usr/spool/mail
   which is the default directory where SCOMail is set up to look
   for mailboxes.

   Now, when SCOMail or /bin/mail on SCO 3.2.4.2 writes to the mailbox
   by deleting one mesage from the mailbox, the modified mailbox
   file is written to /usr/spool/mail, not /var/spool/mail, and
   destroys the soft link!!!

   Can anybody explain this, given that I have compiled and installed ELM
   with no such problems (elm knows to write the modified mailbox to
   /var/spool/mail. NOT /usr/spool/mail).

It's the same problems editors have when you save a new version.

You do either

1) create the new version with some temporary name
   unlink the old version (in your case your symbolic link)
   mv the new version to the old name

2) copy the old file to the backup file if you need one (should be in the case of a crash)
   truncate the old file to 0 and write the new data to it

In the first case the old file including all permissions, flags, ... is *destroyed*
if the program doing 1) is not looking at the exact status of the old
file. I think elm uses 2) and SCO's mail uses 1). Maybe somebody knos
it better.

Maybe you link the whole spool directory to the Sun (ln -s
sun:/<whatever> /usr/spool/mail but then you end up having all users
on the Sun's spool dir.

Roman

--
Roman Fietze (Mail Code 5023)              Kodak AG Stuttgart/Germany

Post by Raymond S » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

On our SCO Open Server, the mail spool directory is mounted from a
Sun Sparc onto /var/spool/mail.

We have soft links for certain users to /usr/spool/mail
which is the default directory where SCOMail is set up to look
for mailboxes.

Now, when SCOMail or /bin/mail on SCO 3.2.4.2 writes to the mailbox
by deleting one mesage from the mailbox, the modified mailbox
file is written to /usr/spool/mail, not /var/spool/mail, and
destroys the soft link!!!

Can anybody explain this, given that I have compiled and installed ELM
with no such problems (elm knows to write the modified mailbox to
/var/spool/mail. NOT /usr/spool/mail).

please MAIL replies to

thanks,

ray

1. Sendmail, large/corrupted mailboxes, & locking of mailboxes

Hi,

We've a user on a Linux server (V4.xx) who had some large emails that
came in recently.  when a pop connection is made to reteive the
messages:

a) Depending on the pop client, it either stalls on sending the
password, or reports no new messages.
b) The maillog file (updated by sendmail?) refers to this user as a
"kiss of death user" instead of a "user" for the pop connections made.
c) there is a zero byte <username>.lock file in /var/spool/mail,
generated on each pop connection.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I've looked through the How-Tos &
man pages with no luck.

TIA, Stu.
Stuart Summerville
Project Engineer
Practel Surveillance Systems

2. Help needed ASAP...

3. mailbox vs. non-mailbox SCSI controller?

4. SysVinit2.50- rc.local won't load binaries

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. No shell

7. Redirecting mail messages from user mailbox to another mailbox

8. Kingston PCI 10/100 Ethernet card & AIX 4.1.5

9. NFS server problems (due to softlinks?)

10. Configuration problem with SCOmail on OS5

11. Problem with BASH and softlinks

12. problem creating softlink on automounted volume

13. scomail problem