SysAdmin utilities

Post by Pat Wils » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 00:22:42

>I'm trying to compile a list of the various system administration
>managers for the different operating systems.  If you know of
>some I'd like to hear from you.
>I already know about:
>SAM on HP-UX
>admintool on Solaris
>What about SGI/Iris(?), IBM AIX, SCO, etc.
>Also if you have used 2 or more different utilities enough to be
>able to compare them I'd like to hear your opinions on them.
>thanks,
>Aniekan.

I've used (and/or avoided using) SAM on HP-UX, admintool on SunOS 4.x
and 5.x, and SMIT on AIX.  I find "admintool" virtually useless - it
is *heavily* GUI-intensive, which I hate, and it doesn't let me know
what it's doing at all.

I can get SAM to leave a log of things it's done, but it gets downgraded
because it has a * habit of making assumptions (case in point, the
report from some poor admin that using SAM to change a user's UID to
0 for a bit went and did a recursive "chown" down the file tree!).

SMIT is bletcherous, but at least it tells me what it's doing (even
*before* it does it), and most of the sysadmin commands it uses
are really (sometimes obfuscated) shell scripts - I can fix those
if necessary.

In short, for the experienced admin, these tools get in the way.
If you're running a single-vendor shop and do exactly what the
vendor expects in your setup, they'll work, but one step off that
straight and narrow path lands you in the swamp.

If you *must* code a GUI admin-type tool, provide options so that
folks who know (or care) what's going on can easily find that information,
*before* it's done.  Also, bear in mind that some folks are allergic
to cute GUIs for various reasons, some as serious as RSI-type injuries
which make point-and-click interfaces hard to operate.

--
Pat Wilson

SysAdmin utilities

Post by Stephan Zielins » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 04:48:50

>I'm trying to compile a list of the various system administration
>managers for the different operating systems.  If you know of
>some I'd like to hear from you.

AIX's `smit': Best of the lot.  The graphic version has a cute little
running man that falls on his face if the operation fails, and shows
you the shell command the system is actually running to Get Stuff
Done.  Excellent support for their logical volume manager.  Logs
everything.  Also has a tty interface for when you're NOT at your
whiz-bang workstation.

Sequent's `menu': Tty based, adequate.  Gets stuff done, but no simple
way to find out what command the damn thing is actually running.

Pyramid uses a simple tty `sysadm', but I know nothing of it--
Pyramids are sane enough to administer by hand.  SGI does have a
graphical sysad interface, but they, too, are sane enough to manage by
hand.

--

  Pyramid OSx & DC/OSx. Sequent DYNIX/ptx. IBM AIX. HP/UX. SGI IRIX.
                           My brain hurts.

SysAdmin utilities

   Date: 6 Sep 1994 23:42:32 -0700

   I'm trying to compile a list of the various system administration

Here's a list of the sysadmin tools that were mentioned:

        admintool  on Solaris
        sysadm     on Pyramid
        sam        on HP-UX
        smit       on AIX
        menu       on Sequent
        sysad(?)   on IRIX

SAM and SMIT ranked near the top of most lists.  However there is a
concern that people can come to rely on them and that would be harmful.

Aniekan.

thanks to all, especially:

SysAdmin utilities

Post by David L. Harf » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 08:11:09

   >I'm trying to compile a list of the various system administration
   >managers for the different operating systems.  If you know of
   >some I'd like to hear from you.

   >I already know about:

   >SAM on HP-UX
   >admintool on Solaris

   >What about SGI/Iris(?), IBM AIX, SCO, etc.

SGI/Irix 4.0.5 has "vadmin"

    _/_/_/_/    _/      _/   _/_/_/_/   COMPUTERIZED MEDICAL SYSTEMS, INC.
   _/          _/_/  _/_/   _/         56 Worthington Dr.
  _/          _/   _/ _/   _/_/_/_/   Maryland Heights, MO USA 63043
 _/          _/      _/         _/   tel: 314 434 4394
_/_/_/_/    _/      _/   _/_/_/_/   fax: 314 434 3936
This has been an opinion from myself, not CMS, and may not necessarily
have any amount of fact contained within.  I've been known to be wrong.
(Well, once anyway:-)

SysAdmin utilities

Post by Nehali Am » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 03:46:55

How about "setup" on DEC-OSF/1?

---

Systems Administrator                   !  voice: 508-453-5310 extn:262
Aries Division, MSC                     !  fax:   508-458-2541
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going"
                        -Jim Ryun

SysAdmin utilities

Post by Heather L. Garv » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 08:16:24

>   I'm trying to compile a list of the various system administration

>Here's a list of the sysadmin tools that were mentioned:

>    admintool  on Solaris
>    sysadm     on Pyramid
>    sam        on HP-UX
>    smit       on AIX
>    menu       on Sequent
>    sysad(?)   on IRIX

>SAM and SMIT ranked near the top of most lists.  However there is a
>concern that people can come to rely on them and that would be harmful.

        And then there's Tivoli. It's very GUI, but so far, it looks like
a great tool. Unfortunately, it doesn't like our Sun3s or SVR32 MPCs
but it runs on HP-UX, Solaris, SunOS, SVR4-for-Motorola, and a couple more
OS coming soon.
        You can manage all your NIS maps, distribute software, monitor
system conditions (disk space, daemons, inodes), create scripts (with a
nifty scheduler that's more flexible than cron but fills the same niche)
and more. And none of this requires that you be in group 'wheel' or have
the root password. Permissions are set within Tivoli, so you can give,
say, the Help Desk certain functionality without letting them have root.

        It's very slick, unfortuantely GUI, and is sadly being sold to
managers as "able to replace SysAdmins" (or at least every manager seems
to think it will reduce # of sysadmins needed, solve all our problems and
probably heal the sick as well. :P). So our Sysadmins are of course, not
all real thrilled about it, since it also encourages the problem or
relying on them and not knowing what's *really* going on beneath and thus
someday not being able to push a map by hand, rather than click a button
in a GUI.

--
Heather Garvey                          Phone: (708) 632-3790

        "...Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning,