Large DLT tape backup system...

Post by Ed Schw » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

We are in the process of evaluating DLT-based backup solutions from two
vendors, EMC and Andataco.  In a nutshell, our requirements include:

   - Client support for HPUX, NT and Novell
   - Integration with Oracle Enterprise Backup Mgr/Parallel Backup Mgr
        * Two databases, 250 (OLAP) and 20 (OLTP) Gb each
   - 1 - 1.5 Tb total online capacity, relatively small number of clients
   - 25-40 Gb/hour sustained throughput

We would use Legato Networker with the Andataco products:

   - Rapid-Tape 6700 (5 drive 7-cartridge DLT stacker system with a RAID
     controller)
   or
   - ACL DLT 4000 w/ 4 drives and 52 cartridge jukebox

Or EMC's pricier but beefier EDM2 E332..

I have a few questions:

   * Having purchased a very large drive from EMC, we are impressed with
        their support..  For those of you who have dealt with Andataco,
        what is your impression of the company and how seamless is the
        integration between their support channels?

   * Can anyone with firsthand experience using the EDM machine give your
        overall impression of the product?  Is the added complexity well
        managed/designed?  Given the necessary hardware (dedicated FDDI,
        multiple f/w SCSI adapters) are the performance claims accurate?

   * Are there other strongly recommended backup solutions that we should
        consider?

Thanks,

- Ed Schwab

Post by Daryl Davi » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> [...]

>   - Rapid-Tape 6700 (5 drive 7-cartridge DLT stacker system with a RAID
>     controller)
>   or
>   - ACL DLT 4000 w/ 4 drives and 52 cartridge jukebox

>Or EMC's pricier but beefier EDM2 E332..

>I have a few questions:

>   * Having purchased a very large drive from EMC, we are impressed with
>        their support..  For those of you who have dealt with Andataco,
>    what is your impression of the company and how seamless is the
>    integration between their support channels?

>   * Can anyone with firsthand experience using the EDM machine give your
>        overall impression of the product?  Is the added complexity well
>        managed/designed?  Given the necessary hardware (dedicated FDDI,
>    multiple f/w SCSI adapters) are the performance claims accurate?

>   * Are there other strongly recommended backup solutions that we should

Post by Steve Lo » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Another component you may need, even with EMC's EDM or the other
product is a high speed tape unit.  IBM makes one you may consider.
(And no, I have no special ties to IBM).

writes:

>>We are in the process of evaluating DLT-based backup solutions from
two
>>vendors, EMC and Andataco.  In a nutshell, our requirements include:

>>   - Client support for HPUX, NT and Novell
>>   - Integration with Oracle Enterprise Backup Mgr/Parallel Backup
Mgr
>>        * Two databases, 250 (OLAP) and 20 (OLTP) Gb each
>>   - 1 - 1.5 Tb total online capacity, relatively small number of
clients
>>   - 25-40 Gb/hour sustained throughput

>>We would use Legato Networker with the Andataco products:

>>   - Rapid-Tape 6700 (5 drive 7-cartridge DLT stacker system with a
RAID
>>     controller)
>>   or
>>   - ACL DLT 4000 w/ 4 drives and 52 cartridge jukebox

>>Or EMC's pricier but beefier EDM2 E332..

>>I have a few questions:

>>   * Having purchased a very large drive from EMC, we are impressed
with
>>        their support..  For those of you who have dealt with
Andataco,
>>        what is your impression of the company and how seamless is the
>>        integration between their support channels?

>>   * Can anyone with firsthand experience using the EDM machine give
your
>>        overall impression of the product?  Is the added complexity
well
>>        managed/designed?  Given the necessary hardware (dedicated
FDDI,
>>        multiple f/w SCSI adapters) are the performance claims accurate?

>>   * Are there other strongly recommended backup solutions that we
should
>>        consider?

>>Thanks,

>>- Ed Schwab

Large DLT tape backup system...

Post by Boyd Johns » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'll leave in the original article for background data if my newsreader
lets me.

>We are in the process of evaluating DLT-based backup solutions from two
>vendors, EMC and Andataco.  In a nutshell, our requirements include:

>   - Client support for HPUX, NT and Novell
>   - Integration with Oracle Enterprise Backup Mgr/Parallel Backup Mgr
>        * Two databases, 250 (OLAP) and 20 (OLTP) Gb each
>   - 1 - 1.5 Tb total online capacity, relatively small number of clients
>   - 25-40 Gb/hour sustained throughput

>We would use Legato Networker with the Andataco products:

>   - Rapid-Tape 6700 (5 drive 7-cartridge DLT stacker system with a RAID
>     controller)
>   or
>   - ACL DLT 4000 w/ 4 drives and 52 cartridge jukebox

>Or EMC's pricier but beefier EDM2 E332..

>I have a few questions:

>   * Having purchased a very large drive from EMC, we are impressed with
>        their support..  For those of you who have dealt with Andataco,
>    what is your impression of the company and how seamless is the
>    integration between their support channels?

>   * Can anyone with firsthand experience using the EDM machine give your
>        overall impression of the product?  Is the added complexity well
>        managed/designed?  Given the necessary hardware (dedicated FDDI,
>    multiple f/w SCSI adapters) are the performance claims accurate?

My company has used Andataco very much prior to my starting a year ago.
Andataco is just a couple of miles from us.  I have not had much
experience with their service yet, but we are going away from 3rd party
peripherals with critical systems.

We recently purchased the low end EDM system (SPARC 20, 2 7-tape DLT
(SPARC 20, 2 7-tape DLT 4700 changers) for our business systems backups.
We are very pleased with the performance of it.  We are even more
pleased with the support, which is second to none in my experience.  The
integrated status checking box that dials up EMC and reports any
hardware failure including CPU hang 24 hours a day is also very
impressive.  The backup and restore software is very good IMHO, though
my only other experience with backup software has been with fairly low
functionality products.  Just today I configured backups for a FDDI
attached HP-UX system to our FDDI attached EDM system and in my brief
test before our network administrator told me to knock it off the backup
used up about 30% of the FDDI bandwidth.  A quick calculation of the
backup rate/second gives me about 9GB per hour using only one tape
drive.  Other systems are restrained by the 10baseT network connections.
If you give it a big enough straw to suck data through it would probably
meet their performance claims and your requirements.

I went through their factory before purchasing it and asked them the
question about performance claims.  They said they are conservative on
their estimates and claim about a 20% margin less than their real-life
tests.  It is very complex as you say, and has a steep learning curve,
but the on-site installation of the server and a few client
configuration EMC does as well as spending an additional day training
you, plus the included 3 (4?)  day class back in Boston should help you
come up to speed.

We currently back up HP-UX and Novell as well as the Solaris EDM system
itself.  Data is all interleaved from multiple clients onto one tape
concurrently, all very configurable.  Desktop PC's can be backed up
through the Novell server, but that is very slow.  They say the NT
client will be available "real soon now" if it's not already.  Also,
reliable tape-to-tape duplication is supposed to be available soon.
Restores are very fast for both UNIX and Novell and are also very
flexible.

We are soon moving to an Oracle database system, but do not currently
back it up.  EDM supports both their own and Oracle's obackup.

If the EDM2 E332 is the SPARC 1000 with 4/52 DLT cabinet it would be a
much more impressive system than what we got.

BTW, I have no connection with EMC other than being a satisfied
customer.

Boyd

--

1. Problems with DLT tape backup unit

Hi,

Yesterday I got some problems doing my usual daily backup. What surprises me
is the fact that I had no problem until then.

The system is FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE. The tape backup is a Dell DLT
Powervault 110T VS80 (a Benchmark DLT1 in fact) on an Adaptec 2940U2W

It's the only peripheral on the card. An active terminator is plugged into
the drive.

Here's the dump log :
 [...]
  DUMP: DUMP: 3677033 tape blocks on 1 volume
  DUMP: finished in 1763 seconds, throughput 2085 KBytes/sec
  DUMP: level 0 dump on Mon May 27 22:25:24 2002
  DUMP: Closing /dev/nrsa0
  DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon May 27 22:55:05 2002
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/da2s1e (/disk2_18G) to /dev/nrsa0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 3675174 tape blocks.
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: write error 385720 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon May 27 23:02:04 2002
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/da3s1e (/disk3_73Ga) to /dev/nrsa0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 5493238 tape blocks.
  DUMP: Cannot open output "/dev/nrsa0".
  DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device not configured

When querying the drive with mt -f /dev/nrsa0 status

it returns :
mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device not configured

The drive doesn't answer any commands and I can't eject the tape.
The drive is about 1 month old and backups are done daily during the week.

Would the drive be already broken ? SCSI chain problem ?

Any suggestion ?
Thanks.

Yann

2. Forking a process

3. Optimizing tape backups under Solaris to DLT 200XT/4000

4. WANTED: Book on how to be a Sysadmin

5. Can FreeBSD do DLT tape backUP ?

6. HELP!!! I SCREWED UP !!!

7. DLT LBX7210 Library for Tape Backup

8. libc 5.4.13 and networking

9. Digital Linear Tape (DLT) For Backup

10. FS *********** SUN DLT tape backup $3200 ************

11. Doing backups larger than the DLT tapes

12. Any "gotchas" for DLT tape backups

13. FS: 7337 DLT Library with 100 DLT Tapes