ping a list of computers

Post by Dave Cart » Sun, 11 Dec 1994 07:26:07

i'm looking for a simple utility that will display a table of hosts,
periodically ping these hosts, and show the results.  basically a
quick and easy way to tell what portions of the network and
specifically which computers are up.  there is a version for os/2,
called pmping, and i'd like a program like this for unix/X.

                                                - dave

ping a list of computers

Post by Spencer S » Sun, 11 Dec 1994 14:07:26

Quote:

>i'm looking for a simple utility that will display a table of hosts,
>periodically ping these hosts, and show the results.  basically a
>quick and easy way to tell what portions of the network and
>specifically which computers are up.  there is a version for os/2,
>called pmping, and i'd like a program like this for unix/X.

When I was at JvNC in the summer of '92 I modified ping to do exactly
this, in conjunction with a network monitoring program that JvNC
was using.  In particular, the modified ping would send off ping
packets to a list of hosts you specify and wait for responses from
each of them, thus no matter how many hosts you wanted to check up on,
you only used one process (provided you don't care too much about the
timing results).

I don't know what became of it afterward (Vikas, are you reading

--
  S. Spencer Sun / Network Computing Devices, Z-Code Software Division    ____
                                                                          \  /

ping a list of computers

Post by Adrian » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 19:20:30

: i'm looking for a simple utility that will display a table of hosts,
: periodically ping these hosts, and show the results.  basically a
: quick and easy way to tell what portions of the network and
: specifically which computers are up.  there is a version for os/2,
: called pmping, and i'd like a program like this for unix/X.

Hmmm...if you want to monitor this on a continuous basis, you could try
NOCOL/NetConsole.  The URL is:

        ftp://ftp.jvnc.net/pub/vikas/

From the README:
----------
NOCOL/NetConsole (Network Operation Center On-Line) is a network monitoring
package that runs on Unix platforms and capable of monitoring network and
system variables such as ICMP or RPC reachability, RMON variables,
nameservers, ethernet load, port reachability, host performance, SNMP
traps, modem line usage, appletalk & novell routes/services, BGP peers, etc.
The software is extensible and new monitors can be added easily.

The software consists of a number of individual, standalone monitoring agents
that poll the various network and system parameters and put it into a common
data format.  All the monitors have a common display and postprocessing
interface (such as logging, notification, etc.). The design allows running
just one set of monitoring agents and *any* number of display agents, and all
of the displays see the same consistent set of data. Additionally, each event
is assigned a severity (determined by comparing against user defined threshold
values) which is gradually escalated, thus preventing false alarms and a
customized priority notification based on the severity. There are four
severity levels ranging from Critical thru Info, and each event typically
steps through each one of these severities until it reaches its maximum
allowed level.

The display uses UNIX 'curses' screen management and can thus run on a large
variety of terminals. The user running the display can select the minimum
display severity- only events above this minimum severity level are displayed.

To date, the various monitoring agents developed are:

        - IP ICMP monitor (using IP 'multiping')
        - OSI reachability monitor (using OSI ping)
        - RPC portmapper monitor (using 'rpcping')
        - Ethernet load (bandwidth & pps)
        - TCP port monitor
        - Unix host performance (disks, memory, swap, load, nfs, collisions)
        - SNMP variables monitor (RMON, Cisco router, terminal server)
        - TCP data throughput monitor
        - Nameserver (named)
        - SNMP traps
        - Usage of terminal server modem lines (busy lines)
        - Appletalk route monitor (for cisco routers)
        - Novell service monitor
        - BGP peer status

A PERL interface is available for developing additional monitors in the PERL
programming language (it is fairly easy to add additional monitors to the
package).

[...]

A sample NetConsole display can be viewed by logging onto 'nocol.jvnc.net'
as user 'nocol'.
----------
Note that last paragraph -- check it out yourself and see if it's what
you want.  We use it in-house, and it's met our monitoring needs and then
some.

BTW, if you're worried about whether a host is operational (and not just
merely up), a simple ping isn't sufficient.  NOCOL has rpcping, which
actually talks to the RPC portmapper on each machine, giving a much
better indication as to whether a host is "alive".

- Adrian Ho
  IT Architect, Infrastructure Group
  NII Division, National Computer Board
  Singapore

ping a list of computers

Post by Vikas Aggarw » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 12:11:46

: i'm looking for a simple utility that will display a table of hosts,
: periodically ping these hosts, and show the results.  basically a
: quick and easy way to tell what portions of the network and
: specifically which computers are up.  there is a version for os/2,
: called pmping, and i'd like a program like this for unix/X.

Dave,

Someone else posted a message about NOCOL/NetConsole.

You can find 'multiping' amongst the sources that can ping multiple

        -vikas (Vikas Aggarwal)

ping a list of computers

Post by Reto Lichtensteig » Fri, 23 Dec 1994 05:52:48

: : i'm looking for a simple utility that will display a table of hosts,
: : periodically ping these hosts, and show the results.  basically a
: : quick and easy way to tell what portions of the network and
: : specifically which computers are up.  there is a version for os/2,
: : called pmping, and i'd like a program like this for unix/X.

: You can find 'multiping' amongst the sources that can ping multiple

Reto L.
--

System Administrator    Horizon Research Inc    (617) 466-8304
                        Waltham MA 02154

"The system has been practicing a noncomputational lifestyle ever
since the boot disk became I/O challenged."

1. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
(all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
some light on this situation?

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Anybody out there to help me here ??

3. Can't ping other computers

4. Stale file handle ?

5. Is samba needed for Linux to ping Win95 computer?

6. Where is ~/.bashrc invoked?

7. not able to ping computer on my lan

8. Trouble using VNC thru a ssh tunnel

9. Can't ping local computers

10. cannot ping local computers

11. Can't ping another computer in the lan

12. Cannot ping other computers on LAN

13. Detecting when my computer is ping