Locked accounts databases on Dunix4.0D

Post by Joe » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've got a group of Alphas running DEC unix 4.0D. For some reason
I can't run any of the tools for modifying the accounts databases
(dxaccounts, adduser etc). It always comes back with a message saying
the passwd and group files are locked by another user. I've tried
killing all the NIS clients, any process relating to NIS and any process
that looked like it might have had the remotest link to either of these
files. No joy so far. Any suggestions on where to look?

TIA

Joe

Locked accounts databases on Dunix4.0D

Post by ed wolf » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

look for /etc/.AM_is_running and clobber it?

> Hi,

> I've got a group of Alphas running DEC unix 4.0D. For some reason
> I can't run any of the tools for modifying the accounts databases
> (dxaccounts, adduser etc). It always comes back with a message saying
> the passwd and group files are locked by another user. I've tried
> killing all the NIS clients, any process relating to NIS and any process
> that looked like it might have had the remotest link to either of these
> files. No joy so far. Any suggestions on where to look?

> TIA

> Joe

1. /etc/account (was: Re: locked my root account...help !)

: : [...]
: : This also shows why you can't lock someone's account just by changing their
: : shell to /bin/false or just a NULL field
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I do not understand this:
If the user cannot log in because he has an invalid shell, he
is unable to change that.
I followed the thread but I wonder what does the statement 'this shows'
actually mean?

Sincerely
 Friedemann Buergel

2. CdParanoia & Cdda2wav Problem

3. ULTRIX -> Dunix4.0b : convauth/C2/password/popper problem !!

4. Transfer quota

5. netscape rpm from compaq + my box = lock lock lock

6. Bandwidth limiting using Linux as a router...

7. Accounting, Database help

8. Sockets- one server and many clients, how do I name all the clients

9. Accounting, Database info needed

10. Account Database Problems ?

11. How to select specific mail accounts to receive postings with bulletin database (solaris - sendmail)

12. Accounting, Invitory, and Database for large firm

13. Account database corrupted ???????