need help setting up backup DNS server and FTP on SunOS

need help setting up backup DNS server and FTP on SunOS

Post by Clau » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi

a friend of mine who has a small company and uses only WinNT asked me if I
can help him setting up a backup DNS server on his little sun box, which
runs SunOS and is unused ( nobody ever uses Unix there)
Well, I know some Unix but I never installed a DNS server on a Unix machine
and I don't even know where to start and how the fact that all the other
machines are NT might effect what I do.
They also want to set up FTP on the sun box. I need suggestions and advice
how and where to start.

Thanks so much, please e-mail me

claus

need help setting up backup DNS server and FTP on SunOS

Post by Ellen Williamso » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

There's a lot to it!  Especially if they want to be connected to the
internet.

O'Reilly has a good book on DNS and Bind.  (grasshopper)  Sun does give
you the tools you need in named.  man on named should get you started.

Ellen J. Williamson                     UNIX/Network Technical Support
Fujitsu Computer Products of America    Intellistor R&D Operations

need help setting up backup DNS server and FTP on SunOS

Post by John Riddoc » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> a friend of mine who has a small company and uses only WinNT asked me if I
> can help him setting up a backup DNS server on his little sun box, which
> runs SunOS and is unused ( nobody ever uses Unix there)
> Well, I know some Unix but I never installed a DNS server on a Unix machine
> and I don't even know where to start and how the fact that all the other
> machines are NT might effect what I do.
> They also want to set up FTP on the sun box. I need suggestions and advice
> how and where to start.

Check "man named" for help with the DNS (and anything listed under 'see
also').  The files are stored in /var/named.  The fact that the other
machines run NT should not matter for DNS serving as the protocols are
set out fairly strictly in the relevant RFC's (might be worth your while
looking at those as well; there are several archive sites on the web).

As for ftp, you should probably look at downloading a piece of ftp
server software from the web.  There are plenty around.  Given that you
seem to have little experience with unix, I'd recommend looking for one
which is easy to install/setup.

--

Room C6, School of Computer and Mathematical Science
Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, AB25 1HG

need help setting up backup DNS server and FTP on SunOS

Post by Angel in the Rain.. » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

O :) > a friend of mine who has a small company and uses only WinNT asked me if I
O :) > can help him setting up a backup DNS server on his little sun box, which
O :) > runs SunOS and is unused ( nobody ever uses Unix there)
O :) > Well, I know some Unix but I never installed a DNS server on a Unix machine
O :) > and I don't even know where to start and how the fact that all the other
O :) > machines are NT might effect what I do.
O :) > They also want to set up FTP on the sun box. I need suggestions and advice
O :) > how and where to start.

O :) Check "man named" for help with the DNS (and anything listed under 'see
O :) also').  The files are stored in /var/named.  The fact that the other
O :) machines run NT should not matter for DNS serving as the protocols are
O :) set out fairly strictly in the relevant RFC's (might be worth your while
O :) looking at those as well; there are several archive sites on the web).

For your information, the source code of bind can be downloaded from the

However, you have to edit the file /etc/named.conf (or named.boot for older
version) and some other configuration files in order to make the DNS
works.

Good luck.

sc

--
Angel in the rain...                            -n????|??? ,

http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~scsze                         ??  [TaoLo

Post by Chris Kohari » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > a friend of mine who has a small company and uses only WinNT asked me if I
> > can help him setting up a backup DNS server on his little sun box, which
> > runs SunOS and is unused ( nobody ever uses Unix there)
> > Well, I know some Unix but I never installed a DNS server on a Unix machine
> > and I don't even know where to start and how the fact that all the other
> > machines are NT might effect what I do.
> > They also want to set up FTP on the sun box. I need suggestions and advice
> > how and where to start.

> Check "man named" for help with the DNS (and anything listed under 'see
> also').  The files are stored in /var/named.  The fact that the other
> machines run NT should not matter for DNS serving as the protocols are
> set out fairly strictly in the relevant RFC's (might be worth your while
> looking at those as well; there are several archive sites on the web).

> As for ftp, you should probably look at downloading a piece of ftp
> server software from the web.  There are plenty around.  Given that you
> seem to have little experience with unix, I'd recommend looking for one
> which is easy to install/setup.

> --

> Room C6, School of Computer and Mathematical Science
> Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, AB25 1HG
> And yeah, as I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall
> fear no evil, 'cause I'm packing an M60 with explosive ammo.

Well, for a quick and easy solution to getting the FTP server up and running,
you can read the in.ftpd man page.  Takes you through it.  I would recommend
though with checking out other alternatives if you have the time.

--
Chris Koharik

1. need help setting up DNS backup s erver and FTP on SunOS

Hi

a friend of mine who has a small company and uses only WinNT asked me if I
can help him setting up a backup DNS server on his little sun box, which
runs SunOS and is unused ( nobody ever uses Unix there)
Well, I know some Unix but I never installed a DNS server on a Unix machine
and I don't even know where to start and how the fact that all the other
machines are NT might effect what I do.
They also want to set up FTP on the sun box. I need suggestions and advice
how and where to start.

Thanks so much, please e-mail me

claus

2. Assigning well-known ports?

3. need help setting up DNS backup server on SunOS

4. AIX version dates

5. Need Help Setting up DNS on SunOS 4.1.3

6. Dual Boot with XP (Auto Check Error)

7. need help setting up my solaris 10 machine as a dns server

9. I need Help setting up FTP server for Linux!

10. How to set up my own server (www,ftp,mail,dns)?

11. Need Help -- Backup FreeBSD to Solaris/SunOS

12. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68

13. UPS Woes (APC Back-UPS Pro)