How to define a 2nd Ethernet interface in Sun E6500 (Beginner Question)

How to define a 2nd Ethernet interface in Sun E6500 (Beginner Question)

Post by freed.. » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

    Hi,

        Could anyone help me with this simple question ??
We are running Solaris 2.6 on a Sun E6500.  The server is on our network
with IP address(xxx.xx.xxx.xxx).  We want to configure a second
interface (i.e., an empty TP slot in one of our I/O boards in the back)
so it can be connected to a different network switch with a new IP
address (yyy.yy.yyy.yyy).
        Our goal is for this server to be connected to 2 seperate
networks with 2 seperate IP addresses.
        Is this do-able ??  This is just for temporary use.
        What commands do I need in Sun to set this up and how can we
test it ?

Thanks,

Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>     Hi,

>         Could anyone help me with this simple question ??
> We are running Solaris 2.6 on a Sun E6500.  The server is on our network
> with IP address(xxx.xx.xxx.xxx).  We want to configure a second
> interface (i.e., an empty TP slot in one of our I/O boards in the back)
> so it can be connected to a different network switch with a new IP
> address (yyy.yy.yyy.yyy).
>         Our goal is for this server to be connected to 2 seperate
> networks with 2 seperate IP addresses.
>         Is this do-able ??  This is just for temporary use.
>         What commands do I need in Sun to set this up and how can we
> test it ?

        You only need to create a "hostname.???" file and add the second IP
address to the "/etc/hosts" file.  The "/etc/hostname.???" files
contain the name associated with that interface.  You probably
already have a "/etc/hostname.hme0" file that contains the hostname
of your machine.  When SOLARIS boots it takes the name from that
file and looks it up in "/etc/hosts".  It then uses what it finds in
"/etc/hosts" to configure the interface.  If you have a second
ethernet interface, you just need to create a file called
"/etc/hostname.hme1" and put the hostname in there (e.g.
hostname-ether1).  Then in your "/etc/hosts" file put a line like
"yyy.yy.yyy.yyy          hostname-ether1".  The machine will
configure the second interface when it reboots.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

1. How to define a 2nd Ethernet interface in Sun E6500 (Beginner Question)

    Hi,

        Could anyone help me with this simple question ??
We are running Solaris 2.6 on a Sun E6500.  The server is on our network
with IP address(xxx.xx.xxx.xxx).  We want to configure a second
interface (i.e., an empty TP slot in one of our I/O boards in the back)
so it can be connected to a different network switch with a new IP
address (yyy.yy.yyy.yyy).
        Our goal is for this server to be connected to 2 seperate
networks with 2 seperate IP addresses.
        Is this do-able ??  This is just for temporary use.
        What commands do I need in Sun to set this up and how can we
test it ?

Thanks,

Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. SCSI DAT Tape with Compression

3. can't backtrace assert(0) with new/delete

4. syslogd and 2nd ethernet interface

5. pipe problem HELP!!!!!

6. 2nd Ethernet Interface problem

7. NT4 and Linux networking

8. Need Help Adding 2nd Ethernet Interface

9. 2nd Ethernet Interface Not Recongnized?

10. Installing 2nd Ethernet card on Sun Blade 100

11. 2nd Ethernet Card on Sun Blade 100 (solaris 8)

12. Raid Manager 6.1.1 - Long "parityck" runtime problems in Sun E6500