I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies to this one!
There are *lots* of differences but in summary, Solaris is a more 'vanilla'
unix than HP-UX. HP-UX comes with a better set of admin tools (sam). It also
has changed a few apps eg: their 'awk' executable is more a nawk and /bin/sh
is POSIX and not bourne shell.
- HP print environment sucks. Sun's not much better but you can use
/etc/printcap at least. We ended up using JetAdmin because we had all HP
- admintool on sun sucks. Don't use it. Just learn the CLI way
- kernels are completely different. HP kernels easier to configure (using
sam) but sun kernels easier on CLI. The way modules etc are compiled in (or
not) are different too.
- Sun bundle s/w mirroring and raid utils (disksuite) - you have to pay for
Mirror/UX for HP which doesn't do striping or RAID5.
- HP bundle their version of veritas volume manager so you get journalled file
systems etc - you have to buy this from Sun.
- You can see Sun's BSD heritage in Solaris, and HP's SysV in HP-UX. Coming
from a SunOS background I was a little more comfortable with Solaris coz of
the BSD hooks but SAM saved me when learning HP-UX.
There's a start. I'm sure this the the beginning of a looooonnng thread.
< 1K Download
1. SCCS differences between Sun & HP
Our company is supporting another company port our software
to another platform. We currently use Sun Sparc 2's & 10's and
we're porting over to some HP Risc system (I think the 7000 series).
The other company is claiming that SCCS is not fully supported on
the HP and that the version that they have works differently than
on the Sun.
Any comments on the differences between the two platforms, and
where we can acquire a fully functionaly HP version if necessary?
3. comp.sys.hp comp.sys.sgi comp.sys.sun comp.unix.ultrix comp.unix.wizards
4. Apache1.2 and mod_auth_nis.c ?
5. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20
7. Difference between SUN server 5 and Sun server 20
9. Rdate from Sun Solaris fand HP Unix ails with Red Hat Linux 5
10. UNIX Systems Administrator, Sys Admin, KY SUN, HP/UX, AIX, Louisville, KY
11. US-OR-Portland, HP, SUN, UNIX Administrator
12. UNIX Admins Needed IMMEDIATELY! (Sun and HP)