Mounting Cdroms in SunOS 4.14 - error unable to mount hsfs

Mounting Cdroms in SunOS 4.14 - error unable to mount hsfs

Post by Mark Bes » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi
I have a problem with a couple of Sun workstations (sparc 5) that refuse
to mount internal cdroms.
The error I am getting is:
unable to mount hsfs
       /cdrom
The command I am using to mount the cd with is:
          /etc/mount -r -t hsfs /dev/sr0 /cdrom
The cdrom directory exist, other directories like /usr/etc/mount_hsfs
exist. The device shows up on boot up ie sr0.

I get the same error on both systems.

However, I do have a third system where I can mount the cdrom ok using
the above command.

As a backup plan how can I remote mount this cdrom onto one of the other
systems. They are all networked together.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark B

Post by how.. » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have a problem with a couple of Sun workstations (sparc 5) that refuse
> to mount internal cdroms.
> The error I am getting is:
> unable to mount hsfs
>        /cdrom
> The command I am using to mount the cd with is:
>           /etc/mount -r -t hsfs /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> The cdrom directory exist, other directories like /usr/etc/mount_hsfs
> exist. The device shows up on boot up ie sr0.

> I get the same error on both systems.

> However, I do have a third system where I can mount the cdrom ok using
> the above command.

The CDROM should be SCSI ID 6
Make sure there are no SCSI conflicts

try mount -t hsfs -o ro /dev/sr0 /cdrom

Quote:> As a backup plan how can I remote mount this cdrom onto one of the other
> systems. They are all networked together.

exportfs

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. Assembler, Anyone? BSDI 386 (intel)

3. vga under dosemu0.49

4. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

5. tty8 and /var/adm/messages (Console Log)

6. Mounting local mounted cdrom on remote machine

7. strange

8. Problem: unable to mount dos partitions or cdrom(s)

9. Mounting SunOS CDROM?

10. Unable to Mount CDROM

11. Mount CDROM on older SUNOS - HELP

12. Unable to mount CDROM