Complete reference of all unix syslog events

Complete reference of all unix syslog events

Post by Lui » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:22:46

I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:25:03

>I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
>events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

Dream on.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

Complete reference of all unix syslog events

Post by daveh.. » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:18:38

Quote:> I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
> events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

It's all right there in the syslog.

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:22:48

>Someone who looks an awful lot like Luis

>> I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
>> events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

>It's all right there in the syslog.

Methinks you misunderstood the question.  He's looking for documentation
that explains the meaning of every possible log message.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

Post by daveh.. » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:21:16

>>Someone who looks an awful lot like Luis

>>> I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
>>> events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

>>It's all right there in the syslog.
> Methinks you misunderstood the question.  He's looking for documentation
> that explains the meaning of every possible log message.

Ah.  I see; I don't know many people who do it that way...

Post by Doug Freyburg » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:16:22

> I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
> events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

Syslog records events given to it by other programs, so no such list is
*possible*.  Even if someone were to create a list like that today,
tommorrow someone else will change a random program that logs messages
and the list will be out of date.

If you're interested in trying again, what specific message are you getting?

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:44:55

>> I am looking for a complete reference that lists all Unix syslog
>> events, including all elements that make up each of the messages.

>Syslog records events given to it by other programs, so no such list is
>*possible*.  Even if someone were to create a list like that today,
>tommorrow someone else will change a random program that logs messages
>and the list will be out of date.

While it would indeed be difficult for a single source to have everything,
it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect application vendors to include
documentation of all the log messages they produce.  So you'd expect the OS
documentation to list all the messages that come from the kernel and the
utilities and daemons supplied with the system.  Unfortunately, this is not
common practice, so users and system administrators are on their own to
decipher the messages (and hence they're a frequent reason why they post to
newsgroups like this one).

When I used to be a system programmer for a mainframe OS (Multics), before
each OS release we'd run a script that scanned all the source files for
logging function calls.  We had a manual that documented all of them, and
the script looked for any that weren't already in the manual so we could
update it.  Manuals like this were SOP in the days of mainframe computers.
The only time I've ever seen such thoroughness in the Unix world was when I
used UTS, IBM's port of Unix to their mainframes.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA