Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Post by BK » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:14:23



Hi.

I haven't been doing anything with Unix for a couple of years and got a
bit rusty, so I'd like to ask some help.

I run BSD (MachTen) on an old Mac and want to do some stuff. In order to
edit configuration files I need an editor, but I am simply too stupid
and too lazy to keep up with ed or vi - I need a bare bones X11 based
editor like xedit.

Unfortunately xedit is not included in the MachTen distribution. Emacs
is but it won't run and I don't know how to fix it - may be too heavy
for the old machine anyway.

I have spent the entire day trying to locate xedit sources using various
search engines and archie. Couldn't find a package anywhere.

Lots of references and a few WebCVS pages but nothing I could actually
donwload and build. Does anybody have any pointers ?

Alternatively, has anyone got an X based bare bones editor that can be
build under MachTen ? I have tried various editors: nedit, vim, xed.
None of them builds and I don't know anything about how to change the
makefiles such that it would compile.

any help appreciated.

rgds
BK

--

ATTENTION! Email to this address *must* contain "USENET" in the subject line
otherwise it will be considered spam, automatically deleted and never reach me.

 
 
 

Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:08:10



Quote:>I need an editor, but I am simply too stupid
>and too lazy to keep up with ed or vi -

`keep up with' -- huh?

Quote:>I have spent the entire day trying to locate xedit sources using various
>search engines and archie. Couldn't find a package anywhere.

ftp.x.org not working?  (it's a contrib item, hence
<ftp://ftp.x.org:/pub/unsupported/programs/xedit/>.)

--
okay, have a sig then

 
 
 

Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Post by BK » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:53:30




> >I need an editor, but I am simply too stupid
> >and too lazy to keep up with ed or vi -

> `keep up with' -- huh?

what I meant to say was "keep up (or better put up) with the sh... er
trouble of using them."

Quote:> ftp.x.org not working?  (it's a contrib item, hence
> <ftp://ftp.x.org:/pub/unsupported/programs/xedit/>.)

thanks a lot for the pointer. Got it. Built it. Working ...

thanks again
BK

--

ATTENTION! Email to this address *must* contain "USENET" in the subject line
otherwise it will be considered spam, automatically deleted and never reach me.

 
 
 

Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Post by Paul A Stor » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:01:00



> Hi.

> I haven't been doing anything with Unix for a couple of years and got a
> bit rusty, so I'd like to ask some help.

> I run BSD (MachTen) on an old Mac and want to do some stuff. In order to
> edit configuration files I need an editor, but I am simply too stupid
> and too lazy to keep up with ed or vi - I need a bare bones X11 based
> editor like xedit.

> Unfortunately xedit is not included in the MachTen distribution. Emacs
> is but it won't run and I don't know how to fix it - may be too heavy
> for the old machine anyway.

> I have spent the entire day trying to locate xedit sources using various
> search engines and archie. Couldn't find a package anywhere.

> Lots of references and a few WebCVS pages but nothing I could actually
> donwload and build. Does anybody have any pointers ?

> Alternatively, has anyone got an X based bare bones editor that can be
> build under MachTen ? I have tried various editors: nedit, vim, xed.
> None of them builds and I don't know anything about how to change the
> makefiles such that it would compile.

> any help appreciated.

> rgds
> BK

> --

> ATTENTION! Email to this address *must* contain "USENET" in the subject line
> otherwise it will be considered spam, automatically deleted and never reach me.

Try this, http://www.wrkgrp.com/uniXEDIT/index.html
 
 
 

Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Post by Satan D'Asto » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:48:35


i use 'nedit' & it's in the ports (/usr/ports/editors/nedit)

www.nedit.org

it work fine for me!

 
 
 

Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

Post by Brian Masinic » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:58:36


I agree with this suggestion.  Though xedit is certainly easy to
use as a "bare bones" X11-based text editor, nedit is readily
available from many sources, it is easy to build and binaries are
also available.  Nedit, also known as Nirvana, can function as a
bare-bones editor, because it is not too large in size, and it
has all the cut and paste facilities that you would want, like
xedit.

Should you want to get a little more creative, however, nedit is
extremely customizable, and it can also do things like
rectangular cut and paste operations on columns of data.

For someone who wants to use mouse button operations, nedit is
very good, yet, even so, you can use it with keystrokes as well.


> i use 'nedit' & it's in the ports (/usr/ports/editors/nedit)

> www.nedit.org

> it work fine for me!

--
Brian W. Masinick, "The Mas"

 
 
 

1. Xcoral-3.1 - multiwindow, mouse-based text editor for X11

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

        Xcoral-3.1 have been released and now available on the Net.

        EUROPE: ftp.inria.fr (X/contrib-R5/clients).
        USA:    ftp.x.org (contrib/editors)

        Summary :
        ---------
        -Xcoral is a multiwindow  mouse-based text editor for
        the X Window System.
        -A built-in browser enables you to navigate through
        C functions,C++ classes, Java Classes, methods and files.
        -A SMall Ansi C Interpreter (Smac) is also built-in
        to dynamically extend the editor's possibilities
        (user functions, key bindings, modes etc).
        -Xcoral provides variable width  fonts, menus, toolbar,
        scrollbars, buttons, search, regions, kill-buffers, macros and
        undo. An on-line manual box, with a table of contents
        and an index, helps you to use and customize the editor.
        -Xcoral also offers facilities to write Latex documents
        and Html pages.
        -Commands are accessible from menus or  key bindings.
        -Xcoral is a direct Xlib client and runs on color/bw
        X Display.

        And also:

        -Color syntax C/C++/Java mode with auto-indent.
        -Mode Latex with auto-indent and colors.
        -Mode edir (edit directory).
        -Mode Html.
        -RCS interface.
        -Unix cmd (make, grep etc) from the editor.

        OS :SunOS 4.1.x, Solaris 2.[45], LINUX, AIX, HPUX,
            IRIX and OSF-1.

        Changes from xcoral-3.0:
                Few bugs fixed (browser)
                Handle 8bits key.

        Lionel.

- --
This article has been digitally signed by the moderator, using PGP.
http://www.iki.fi/liw/lars-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.

PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/liw/linux/cola.html

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: noconv

iQCVAwUBM41HWYQRll5MupLRAQF+nQQAvQZv9b4k6o1AVg2w3s/FNq0PNrKSgD2V
OAxdYcaHL5eK0lYHwbSyWQNzx0pLvuzFoPHda/RE8/NiupKNePCHga5Q94BOnJrJ
mBdwvgQ+BwrzVA5LwWvu0GG4m+Vw9LHN3eG0UlZyOAS7+wWNSk4KJrbW+trHZmVo
ZTR6wRJnKwc=
=84Dw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

2. Uptime

3. Bare bones Linux system on zip disk!!! Finally!

4. Get highest value of all fields but with some criteria

5. netscape navigator as bare bone browser under linux lite

6. slow login

7. Bare-bone httpd source code for unix

8. odd Linux hardware quesiton, right NG?

9. Bare-bones file server?

10. Looking for a "bare-bone"-system

11. Newbie : Installing Linux on bare-bones machine

12. Bare Bones Linux

13. Bare Bones Installation