(no subject)

Post by Charles G Waldma » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00

        As part of a consulting job, I am trying to straighten out a few
servers which crash every few days.  They are 386's running Sun's
(no-longer-supported) Interactive Unix.  (This name always seemed strange
to me;  what version of Unix isn't interactive?).

        The configuration of these systems, their startup files, and crontabs,
is really bizarre; they've had a whole succession of sysadmin's (who by the way
seem to have been more fluent in DOS batchfile than in shell) adding more
cruft on top of an already not-too-well understood system.

        There's a job running every hour to do a "find / -name core"
and delete the corefiles.  Programs are frequently crashing, and the
resultant corefiles clog the disk.

        I wanted to see what programs were crashing and causing these
core dumps;  the "file core" command says "core: English text" instead of,
as I expected, "core: corefile from someprog".  The only de* on the
system is gdb, and gdb won't load the corefile.... I did a simple test,
making a C program which did nothing but try to assign to an uninitialized
pointer, so it would get a SEGV and dump core.  This worked as expected,
but then "gcc myprog core" said that the core file was not a recognized
core file format.  I don't have adb or any other de*s to work with
on this system.  What to do??  (The corefile generated by my program,
was also "English text" according to the "file" command).  I could
use "strings core" and sift through to figure out the offending program,
but it would be nice to be able to actually do some debugging.

        The other question I had, for anyone familiar with Interactive Unix,
is how to get the system to write a dumpfile to be analyzed by "crash".
When the systems in question hang, the sysadmin just hits the reset button.
There's no way to learn anything about what caused the crash unless somehow
a dumpfile gets written.  What causes that?

        Thanks greatly to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions.

(no subject)

Post by SJ » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

We are trying to setup a mailing list using majordomo for our users.
Majordomo is installed and when we try the commands subscribe,
unsubscribe, list an error message is generated for the owner of the
list.

The user request is executed (i.e. subscribe/unsubscribe/list) but this
error is sent to the owner.

Any help would be appreciated.
Please email me directly if that is possible

***********************
Error message generated
**********************
The original message was received at Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:54:01 -0500

554 Who are you?: Bad file number

 ----- Original message follows -----

  [ Part 2: "Included Message" ]

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:54:01 -0500

Subject: Majordomo results

--

Majordomo serves the following lists:

test

Use the 'info <list>' command to get more information
about a specific list.

(no subject)

Post by Andrew Miles » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Is there a way to display only directory names without
> using find or writing a shell script?

The GNU fileutils creates 'd'. A very handy command.

ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/fileutils-*

-- Andrew E. Mileski --

Dark Matter Technologies Inc. - Ottawa Ontario, Canada!

(no subject)

Post by Richard Leyto » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi:

>Is there a way to display only directory names without
>using find or writing a shell script?

Try this:

ls -F1 | grep /

(Works on Solaris, its pretty generic so it should work elesewhere).

Chuck an "R" in there to go recursively, and an "a" to list . and ..

Regards,

Richard.

--
Richard Leyton, AMS Management Systems Deutschland GmbH,
              Am Seestern 1, 40547 Duesseldorf, Germany.

WWW: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/~e0190404/home.html

Opinions are my own, and not representative of AMS.

(no subject)

Post by Sam Sexto » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Bassirou Bah writes:
> Is there a way to display only directory names without
> using find or writing a shell script?

ls -lR | grep ^d

--
Sam Sexton                        Phone: +44 1203 256562
Reuters Ltd, Coventry, UK         Fax:   +44 1203 555203

1. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

Greetings,

The following macros are there on AIX  but not on Linux.If we have
on Linux pls  suggest me how to use(say path) or tell me alternative?

#define SIGDANGER 33    /* system crash imminent; free up some page
space */
#define SIGSAK    63    /* secure attention key */
#define SIGSOUND  62    /* sound control has completed */
#define SIGKAP    60    /* keep alive poll from native keyboard */
#define SIGGRANT  SIGKAP /* monitor mode granted */
#define SIGRETRACT 61   /* monitor mode should be relinguished */
#define  F_CLOSEM       10/**on AIX /usr/include/fcntl.h****/
#define _D_NAME_MAX 255

Thnaks in Advance
Sudhakar Reddy.N

2. Win XP IE and Popups

3. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

4. Upgrading Kernel

5. NOS shootout

6. Help with mounting new filesystem coding please...

7. Seeds for random nos.

8. Probs with profiling

9. faster NOS: NetWare or Linux?

10. Software to read NOS/VE backup tapes

11. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?

12. Unix <-> NOS