named/sendmail

Post by Eric Heilma » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have configured a Linux machine to respond to multiple (aliased) IPs so
that I can run NCSA httpd patched for multiple domain web hosting.  The
httpd works fine, but I am having a problem sending mail to the domains
using the aliased IPs.  The returned mail messages says there is a
inet_routed problem with the MX record, and that the destination is the
local host machine.  (which I know is true, but why is this a problem?)

In the named file, I have set the MX record to point to the local machine
name.  Is there something else I should have done?  Do I need to modify
something in sendmail?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric Heilmann

--
Eric Heilmann                     Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space

I speak for myself, and no one else!

named/sendmail

Post by Kevi » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I have configured a Linux machine to respond to multiple (aliased) IPs so
: that I can run NCSA httpd patched for multiple domain web hosting.  The
: httpd works fine, but I am having a problem sending mail to the domains
: using the aliased IPs.  The returned mail messages says there is a
: inet_routed problem with the MX record, and that the destination is the
: local host machine.  (which I know is true, but why is this a problem?)

: In the named file, I have set the MX record to point to the local machine
: name.  Is there something else I should have done?  Do I need to modify
: something in sendmail?

You have to have a 'Cw' line in /etc/sendmail.cf for each hostname your
machine can receive mail as.. i.e.:

Cwlocalhost
Cwno-fly.winternet.com

Just add another for each hostname your machine will be receiving mail as.

-kevin-

  http://www.winternet.com/~kbrint
  winternet staff - email for info

named/sendmail

Post by Jacek A. Ponars » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> You have to have a 'Cw' line in /etc/sendmail.cf for each hostname your
> machine can receive mail as.. i.e.:

> Cwlocalhost
> Cwno-fly.winternet.com

> Just add another for each hostname your machine will be receiving mail as.

or Cm for each domain.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine   fax:           (718)430-2488
RIT, Bronx, NY.   http://micro6.trincoll.edu, tel:   (718)430-4211

1. Named/Sendmail

Well, I've tried doing a search on Google, never came up with any
promising answers.... I know I had this problem before, I think, and
fixed it, but now I cant find the solution...

I used to have a computer running linux, providing masquerading proxy
connection to the internet, over a 56k dial up leased line, to two
windows machines.

While the box was offline, you were able to send mail to the sendmail
daemon for queueing up and later delivery.

That was a couple years ago. Im trying setup the box, trying to
duplicate things from memory, and it seems that Sendmail/Named are
conflicting. With Named running, Sendmail will try and do DNS lookups
through named... but of course, no connection, DNS cannot ask the
internet... Without it running, Sendmail will just queue the mail.

Well that's what I want. I want sendmail to queue the email while the
box is offline, but when online, send all mail in queue (presumably from
the ip-up script), but also do DNS lookups to send mail directly rather
than through a smart host... It would also be nice, that while online,
sendmail can send any outgoing mail straight away.

Any ideas on how I can make sendmail work like this (but preferably not
by modifying DNS)?

I also want to run my own DNS nameserver... But again while the box is
offline, and no modem attached, you do an nslookup on say yahoo.com, and
it just waits... can I get DNS to timeout a bit quicker?

Perhaps getting DNS to timeout a bit quicker while the box is offline
would fix the sendmail problem, but if for any other reason DNS cannot
find the name straight away, I dont want sendmail to wait there for
several minutes. I'll get my dad complaining you see, I just want it to
queue mail, and look up DNS in the background, and send mail in the
background.

I have a basic sendmail setup now, and my zones in named setup... with
any luck, once connected to the internet, it should soon be caching...
just the sendmail/dns/timeout issue...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon

2. FvwmConfig

3. Changed host name - why does old name linger in sendmail?

4. Review of FreeBSD 5.4

5. How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name

6. too many TCP sockets?

7. problem with sendmail using users name rather than email name

8. Disk Array errors IBM Raid 7135

9. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

10. Which named ?...Solaris 2.5 in.named or Berkley named ?

11. sendmail: CAN'T COMPUTE THE DOMAIN NAME OF THIS SERVER

12. sendmail and capital letters in user names

13. Sendmail domain name